Which strimmer?

Mark

[quote user="Charlie"]

Have you used a 4 stroke pcwhizz, the unit is light and well balanced, it is high reving with an integral oil system that can be inverted to any angle without damage. If you read the thread there is so much disscusion on mixtures etc. Not a prob with a 4 stroke.

Also on a safety note forget goggles and invest in a full face shield from an agri supplier, not the plastic type but with a mesh front and frame to adjust to your head. 

[/quote]

Nope Charlie, I havent and I have no doubt that Honda have it sorted as their engineering skills are 2nd to none.  But, my point is that a 4 stoke is totally unnecessary in this application, so its not for me, if you want to buy one then thats your choice (gardening must pay well !) .  As this thread proves, Stihl is the weapon of choice in France and there's nowt wrong with that.

I do this for a living. Get the most powerful Stihl you can afford. It MUST have handlebars never the stupid ring handle.Get the harness and a good facemask.

Chuck the head to the back of the shed and buy a good universal head (one machined out of solid alloy )

Buying cheap tools is a real waste of money , believe me I've tried.

[quote user="ruonglue"]

Chuck the head to the back of the shed and buy a good universal head (one machined out of solid alloy )

[/quote]

Could you explain this a little more

I have a 4 stroke Stihl which has served me really well, but would hate to think I'm missing something[8-)]

[quote user="ruonglue"]

Buying cheap tools is a real waste of money , believe me I've tried.

[/quote]

I'm with you 100% on this but the trouble was that when I really needed a strimmer I was feeling particulaly broke, having just bought my house,  could only afford one of the brico shed cheapies with the stupid ring handle.  While you would not want to use it to make a living, it's sort of OK and does the job but after a while it gets bloomin' heavy.  A strap over the shoulder helps but not much.  I keep telling myself I'll get a decent Stihl when it conks out but it keeps going and going. 7 years now with much abuse.  I'm hoping that just by mentioning this I have put the kybosh on it [;-)]

I haven't got a universal head on it but it is so important to get good quality strimmer line of the correct diameter for the strimmer, it makes a world of difference to the efficiency of the cutting. I found the best place for line was Point Vert.

I second this - the line that came with my strimmer grass head was the sort that has natural breakage points all along it. I've since tried the square line from the agricultural merchants but the shop I bought it from says the round line is best. I guess it depends on what you are using it for!

For anything other than grass I swear by the three-bladed head ("spinning blades of death" we call it!) which is superb - but make sure you're wearing all the safety gear as it cuts through everything :)

• 1 year later...