Which strimmer?

Mark

I need a petrol-driven strimmer to take the grass, mega-weeds and general green detritus from a 'garden' and fairly precipitous river bank.  Firstly, can one assume that where the spec talks of 'cc' rather than watts, the model is petrol-driven?  Some models are described as one or the other, and some mention both, so it's a bit ambiguous to my naive eyes.

Secondly, fuel mix.  Is it all petrol, petrol with a dash of oil, petrol with a dash of Worcester sauce, vodka?

Sorry to be so unmanly with these questions, but what can you do? [:)]

Get Squidge to ask these questions in future - saves embarrassment

all round.

If it quotes cc's it's petrol driven ("thermique").  They are all two stroke (petrol and oil) as far as I know.  Sometimes they will quote watts as a measure of the power output even for petrol models.

The vodka/gin/scotch hip flask attachment is an optional extra on more expensive models.

If you're using it for more than a few minutes at a time, (lets say, for argument's sake, you have grass, mega-weeds and general green detritus from a 'garden' and fairly precipitous river bank to clear - that would be quite a big job) then those with two handles and a decent harness are more expensive but a lot easier to handle and less wearing on back/shoulders/arms.  As I only found to my cost after buying a cheaper petrol model with a "D" handle and single shoulder strap.

I would make sure your legs and arms are properly covered when you use it (not shorts and T-shirt) - face mask is advisable as well.  The sap from some weeds (like cow parsley) can give you "strimmers rash", like giant hogweed burns.

Petrol models - wear padded gloves, especially if using it for more than a few minutes - don't be surprised if your hands tingle or feel numb, these things are terrible for vibration.

I hate strimming. [:@]

PS Strimming on a slope is the pits. [:@] [:@]

If money is no object - you can buy 4 stroke strimmers - the advantages are: more power, easy starting hot or cold, less noise and less exhaust gas than with a 2 stroke. I bought a Honda 4 stroke 6 years ago and have used it commercially ever since and I've always been very pleased with it although it did cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it. Hmm, maybe that's not such a good analogy when talking about strimmers [blink]

http://www.honda-fr.com/pages/produits/Jardin/Debroussailleuses/

[quote user="Gemini_man"]If money is no object - you can buy 4 stroke strimmers - the advantages are: more power, easy starting hot or cold, less noise and less exhaust gas than with a 2 stroke. I bought a Honda 4 stroke 6 years ago and have used it commercially ever since and I've always been very pleased with it although it did cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it. Hmm, maybe that's not such a good analogy when talking about strimmers [blink]

http://www.honda-fr.com/pages/produits/Jardin/Debroussailleuses/

[/quote]

Oh man, money IS an object.  I so wish it wasn't , but thank you.[:)]

All our 2-stroke machinery is 40:1 petrol:oil, but the fuel:oil ratio varies depending on the manufacturer's recommendations, usually marked on the filler cap, otherwise look in the instruction manual.  Best mix it in a petrol container (marked 2-stroke to stop someone topping up a four stroke machine with the wrong stuff) as it's impossible to get the proportions right if you add oil and petrol separately to the fuel tank. 

NB 2-stroke oil is marked "2 Temps" - not just ordinary car engine oil.

Mmmmmmmm.  Warm oil.  2 strokes good.  4 strokes better.  Mmmmmmm.

I only have a small one (go to town,people!) as money was an object for me, but be warned that the small versions without a handle/strap may well burn your arm due to the position of the motor. Do try to feel one before buying. (I can see where this is going, too!)

• 2 weeks later...
Cut the crap guys!

I would recommend the Stihl FS 400, it's a cracking machine, T bar handle, antivibration system and will run all day with a blade.  It's used by many councils etc and is in the professional range of Stihl, and available for around 600 euro.  If this machine is too much than try the 350 (I think, get the catalogue) but dont buy from the non professional range if you intend to use it a lot.  The Stihl pro models are fully serviceable, not like the cheaper models and makes.  The 2 stoke mix is 50:1 (100ml of good 2 stoke oil with 5 l petrol).  There are larger models available that are capable of running with larger blades, but they weigh more and of course cost more, so its a case of what suits your purpose.

You wont regret buying a pro machine, just remenber you'll be spending hours and hours with it - no such thing as cheap tools or cheap tools always bite back my father used to say.

if it's any help, i went to weldoms when i was starting my garden maintenance business and, as a girlie, they fitted and kitted me out with pro stihl strimmer and all the sfaety stuff, harness, visor etc etc and found one which was ideal for my size. it's a 2 stroke cowhorn handlebar model - they went through several to get the weight and balance right - and four years later, after masses of commercial strimming, it's still going strong.

you could do the same, just go to weldoms and ask for the right tool for the job - sorry - they love it and you can get to try each model. don't get me started on chainsaws - i was playing about in weldoms all day.

apologies, never spill coffee on your keyboard...leaves you with no upper case.

Mark go and get a Honda 4 stroke, no worries about mixtures etc, the unit comes with a strimmer head and a brush cutter. Mine is a year old and has done some pretty heavy work. If you need advise on care and maintence I would be glad to help.

Regards Charlie.

Why on earth do you need a 4 stoke motor to run a strimmer ??????????

The 2 stoke is ideal for this application, no valve gear to run; no oil tank to fill up and the 2 stoke runs at a higher rpm that is better suited to the strimmer (and of course the chainsaw).  4 stoke motors are good for mowers and the like that need more power at lower revs.  The mower also provides a stable platform for the oil system, not so on a strimmer or chainsaw, so mixing the oil with the petrol is a better solution for this application.  2 stoke motors weigh less for the same power and are much much simpler in their construction.  Modern 2 stokes use electronic ignition and a decompression valve and are a doggle to start.  Forget 4 stoke strimmers, they are a marketing gimmick.  Nuff said.  [6]

Wear protection for your eyes. Not the googles they fill with sweat, but those wrap around plastic glasses from the diy stores or face mask. I have been hit full on the lenses twice and would have been blinded by now if I had not worn them. Although my wife swears by her slug face-pack ,the face mask is probably best.

I have been very happy with ny Stihl fs120. I recommend Stihl as they are everywhere and if you want a spare or new head for it, you will find it no problem. |It is very well made. It is not a professional model but is sufficiently powerful for me ( and I am not a professional!) It is only used here in the Spring and Summer and works all day without any difficulties. I would not recommend anything cheaper than about 400 - 500 euros You really get what you pay for. Also, if you like your face as it is, get a full face mask - the Stihl ones are about 50 euros but worth every cent. The strimmers throw up huge amounts of weed and stones etc.
Stihl UK also sent me, at no charge, a user manual in English after I sent them an email with the model number. I found the French technical stuff very difficult when I bought it and it was a very good idea

Good luck

Danny

Have you used a 4 stroke pcwhizz, the unit is light and well balanced, it is high reving with an integral oil system that can be inverted to any angle without damage. If you read the thread there is so much disscusion on mixtures etc. Not a prob with a 4 stroke.

Also on a safety note forget goggles and invest in a full face shield from an agri supplier, not the plastic type but with a mesh front and frame to adjust to your head. 

2 stroke isn't a problem either!! If you can't/won't mix it yourself which is dead easy, just fill up a red plastic can (use the green ones for unleaded) with melange at your local garage and tell the proprietor what it's for so that you get the right mixture.

The four stokes are much more expensive; an expense which I think is really not justified for occasional domestic use, nor even my professional use.

However, it's all down to personal choice isn't it?

"After my (also Stihl) chainsaws, my strimmer is my favourite toy!"???

Don't go there, people!!

It should also be pointed out that not only do garages sell a ready mix petrol/oil for two stroke engines (albeit more expensive), there is an even more expensive ready mixed fuel which my local Bricomarche recommended. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it 'alkalyte'? Cost me about 18 euros for 5 litres but works well. Didn't buy it again at that price though.