Leylandi and Osmacote

AnOther

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/IMG_4176.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/IMG_4173.jpg[/IMG]

Not the L word tree but they get to that sort of maturity, this fir was about 35 metres whatever that is in feet and has reached maturity...I've climbed Leylies of similar proportions, they do keep on going and going! The costs of remedial surgery or take down on trees of that size are not insignificant.

That's alot of the little bruggers to put in wjt and alot of future maintenance...if I was closer i'd happily pop out...I got a wee bit of time on my hands at the mo! P'raps I should take my saws and climbing gear down to the Pyrenees and make a few stops on the way? [:D]

edit; i'm toward the top of the tree in the top pic to give ideas of scale

Wow, that is big Chris! I would love for the 65 leylandii we will be planting to grow to that size, in fact the sooner the better. [:D]

I hear people gasping at the thought of leylandii so now I feel I must explain, Ernie will have to do his own explaining. [:D] It will firstly not be a problem with size at any time in the future. It is on our property on our side of a little track and we would plant them about five to six meters inside of our boundary on our side of this track approximately 2-300 meters away from our house. It will not be a problem for the new house being built there because it is not their view however it is a view onto our property only, they will be on the other side of this track from their house down the side of a hill. All of this is because of EDF clearing this area and of course the planners that have allowed for the new build. [:(]

The only problem will be for those that will be grown under and next to electricity poles and the wire. EDF comes every three years to cut around them in this area and they have said that the wires need 2 meters of clearance. So that will be the only upkeep and it will be EDF cutting the branches of the leylandii near the wire.

I guess no one here has any idea of costs for planting. Perhaps it is a piece of string question. I may start another thread in the gardening section tomorrow just in case someone can give me an idea before I start calling other people.

P.S. Chris, I think that there would probably be enough people on this forum alone that could keep you busy enough that you would never make it to the Pyrenees, at least not for recreation. [:D]

Well if they don't adversely affect your landscape or the views out and you need a remedy to counteract your perception of a future problem then why not? At least it's guaranteed future income for the surgeons![:D]

What size are the trees going in? Has the unit cost been stated? What type of earth etc?

Anyone fancy a treehouse? I wanna build one!

Why would future surgeons be necessary if it doesn't matter what size they become?

They will be between 60-80 cm. The area is quite flat at the top of a small hill. It is 30 meters wide and two rows will be planted with 65 trees in total. The ground seems OK but perhaps some stones it is hard to tell. He will be using a machine to dig two trenches I presume. He has quoted €7 each for just the trees but much more for the rest. If anyone could give me a good idea, I will say what the total cost he quoted.[:)]

`The problems with Leylandii, in my opinion, are:

1. They look horrible when the natural flora consists of mainly Oak and Ash

2. Nothing wil grow under them or for some distance either side of them

3. Uncontrolled (and they get out of control very quickly) they cut the light for considerable distances and do not provide much privacy for the bottom two metres

My neighbour in France is cursed with these trees - he didn't

plant them - and has had to pay a fortune to cut them back ( and when cut back they look horrible too) and they still cut out the evening sun from our garden. My neighbour on the other side planted some despite our polite request not to: fortunately they died (the trees not the neighbour and nothing to do with me just drought and deer) which made us extremely happy. They are horrible trees not even any good for firewood.

I just went out to take a photo of the area and I am certainly open minded about it.

In the photo if you look a little further than halfway between the second and the third electricity pole approximately where there is a green mass on the ground, that is where we would like to plant them. This area is about 30 meters wide.There is a little road or track really that is about six meters further from where we would plant them. We have plenty of space between us and them to plant other trees in the future. But for the time being we need something quick and dense at near the top.

If you want a real laugh, the pole at the bottom is planted with a circle of spruce trees. They were planted by a gardener for the previous owner. He had the grand idea of planting roses and encircling them with small spruce trees.[blink]  They are rather slow growing but they have grown probably 4-5 ft in the three years we have been here. It would be too hard to take them out so I guess we will have some giant trees there in the future. [:(]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P1010004.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/P1010003.jpg[/IMG]

Ernie, that sounds an excellent price. I guess I will just have to take more time to look around, however we do need to have them delivered.

Didn't think the father of the bride would have enough time to discuss hedges on the big day.[:D]  I hope it is a lovely one.

Oops sorry Ernie, don't know how I got it wrong but thought the wedding was today. Just read through it again and saw that you mentioned that you are leaving tomorrow. [:$]

Well done for planting the 20, you are making me feel bad now. I spent the afternoon trying to find the trees and someone to plant them for me, with no luck I may add. [:(]

I wouldn't feel too guilty WJT, my smug thriftiness has resulted in a seriously aching right leg (got a bit of a dodgy knee).

Lets hope it's a bit better tomorrow because it will be a right pain, literally, if it affects my driving. 'er indoors hates driving with the trailer in tow so I gotta do it.

The definition of getting older:

The brain still writing cheques the body can no longer cash [:-))]

We never learn do we [:$]