Demise of my pine trees?

Kathy

Last year we chopped out lots of chenille nests from our pine trees without spoiling them too much however, last week when we visited they were back nesting with a vengence. This latest operation has left the pine trees looking very thin and we think if we have to do this again next year we will be left with totem poles not trees. We are thinking of planting something near to them that will give us privacy but not too invasive just in case we have to lose them next year. They are located on a steep banking. Has anyone any suggestions as what would be the best option? I cannot find any advice on how to eradicate the chenille processionalles without cutting off the nests and burning them.

Sorry to hear about your pine trees Kathy. When we moved to this house last year we had one huge scots pine which was denuded of needles for the top third. There were several nests and we managed to destroy some. Miraculously the others have disappeared - perhaps birds have eaten them. The tree is even looking healthier. So yours might recover . If not - what part of France are you? What kind of soil? We had acier growing on a very steep slope at our last house, in clay. It does tend to takeover though.

We are in Dept 66 right on the Spanish border. The soil is not very good, mostly clay. We have an oak, mimosa and some spindly trees (not sure what they are) lower down the banking. If we take down the two pines I am worried about all the banking being washed away by the rain. I shall look at aciers, thank you.

Not trying to STEEL this away PC but have a look at this thread and hve  look at the link in my 1st posting. http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1022593/ShowPost.aspx .

They will leave the trees in about March time and look for soft ground to pupate in over the summer. then they will reappear as dowdy brown moths in Sept/Oct time and lay their eggs in the lower branches of certain types of pine trees. If you can locate the egg clusters on the individual needles then all you have to do is remove and crush them under foot. After that they start on the lower branches with small cocons and work their way up. I have taken about 9 out of our trees starting at the bottom and the last at the VERY top of one of our tall trees. There are some very good photos of what to look for on the site I have given.

Google 'pine processionary caterpillars'. there's a boat load of information there and if you are vigalent you can save yourselves and your pets from a lot of trouble, danger and possibly death for your pets! I kid you not.

We had less this year than before, so you can control then to a certain extent and it's worth it to try!

Good luck.

Yes I read your posting last time when I didn't know what they were. It was very informative thank you. We are only out at certain times of the year so it is difficult to stop them before they nest up high. Prior to our visit last week it was only 7 weeks since we were in France and we didn't spot anything. Perhaps we didn't look close enough. As some of our trees are on a steep banking it is fairly lethal to gain access up the tree, like you we used all manner of tools to chop out the branches. I am heartened that we may win the battle we have already lost several trees and don't want to lose anymore. Last Easter we had to burn the caterpillars when they were on the ground, it was not nice but we have a dog also and can't risk it. This time we removed 26 nests from 3 trees. Next October I shall be on the lookout. What did you decide about the micro biological insectiside?

You are welcome Kathy. I use a Friscars telescopic lopper http://www.shopandbuy.fr/product/Coupe-branches-multifonction-télescopique-chez-Castorama-Ref-Casto643349.html . Not cheap, but very good for the job. When they get right up to the top I have made an extention that reaches another 4 meters by using the pole for the pool net and brush. Not easy to handle but better than climbing ladders and trees!! The last one I got was at the VERY top of one of our tall trees. It just reached...

That bio insectiside. Not investigated it yet...