Which Potato?

Thebiga

I am looking at planting a general potato good for roasts or anything really and a large variety which would be good for jackets in the oven.

Have seen lots on the shelf at the moment but the names mean nothing to me, so anyone got any good ideas about which ones here in france to grow.

I am not sure on varieties either but in alot of the shops/garden centres they put on best for info.  I usually look for the ones which say they are good for either 'puree', 'vapour' or 'frites' and get the ones that suit.  For bigger ones I would go for the 'frites'.

Hope this helps

Julie

I grew 'Desirée' and 'Julienne' varieties last year. They turned out to be very similar in their characteristics, ie; red skin, waxy. and they grow to a good size. I have used them for all methods of cooking and they have both proved to have excellent flavour.

They also keep well, I have four sacks left to last me to the next crop and I will certainly be growing some more this year.

cheminot

• 2 weeks later...

For jacket potatoes Bintje is absolutely the best. It has a high starch content and so it cooks fluffy not waxy.

By the way can anyone explain the terms 'conservation' and 'consommation' when applied to potato varieties. I found an explanation once but i have lost it.

[quote user="sackville"]

For jacket potatoes Bintje is absolutely the best. It has a high starch content and so it cooks fluffy not waxy.

By the way can anyone explain the terms 'conservation' and 'consommation' when applied to potato varieties. I found an explanation once but i have lost it.

[/quote]

I agree with Jane and Danny: Agata are wonderful. Bintje have been on very (cheap) special offer in Leader Price during January so are hardly worth the effort of growing, The Agatas (though of the same family) are a little better quality and so justify the back-ache for me. We also grow old traditional English 'Majestic' but they can only be bought in the UK. Just spread the muck this afternoon!

As far as I understand it 'conservation' means keeping qualities, and 'consommation' means how much crop you get.  

Happy cropping,

[quote user="plod"]Has anybody grown Ratte?[/quote]

Yes, I grow them every year. My father-in-law used to grow them and I picked up the habit. Superb eaten young. He used to deep-fry them whole, as they're not very big, and eat them with a fresh green salad.

Another vote for Agata. My neighbours grow them (by the tonne, literally) and give us loads whenever we're around. They make arguably the best jacket potatoes I've ever eaten (and many of our friends and visitors agree) and are pretty good all round, too. In fact, I often bring quite a few home to the UK to use. Wish we could get them here but they don't appear to be available.[:(]