Good cover

Barbel Bob

Hi,

A bit of a long shot but i will ask anyway [:D]

The front of my house is in need of repair, that i have no money for, and it does not look very welcoming, does anyone know of a good climber that i can use to hide it? As i live on a main road with no front garden it is going to have to be one that can be planted in  SMALL pots either side of the front door (thats if the local mairie will allow them on the kerb).

Any ideas appreciated.

J

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]...it is going to have to be one that can be planted in  SMALL pots either side of the front door (thats if the local mairie will allow them on the kerb).[/quote]

I'm sorry to say it is indeed a 'long shot', Bob. [:(]

Asking a plant in a big pot to climb all over the front of a house would be a tall order in itself, but in a small pot? No chance, I'm afraid.

My house is incredibly scruffy looking. It badly needs a paint job, but then so do many other peoples.

Save up (like me![:)] ) and try not to worry about what it looks like in the mean time.[:)]

[quote user="Tresco Asking a plant in a big pot to climb all over the front of a house would be a tall order in itself, but in a small pot? No chance, I'm afraid.

When you put it like that Tresco, it made me smile! stupid question really!

Ill get the piggy bank out, thanks for your reply.

J

We have a blue passion flower growing on the south facing side of our house, and it's grown like crazy. I believe they can grow up to 9 metres!

It's in a Belfast sink sized pot and isn't watered much at all- might that do for now whilst you're saving your pennies??

It has kept it's leaves over this winter and the flowers looked lovely last year.

During cover of darkness chip out pavement or wherever where you plan to put the pot until you get to bare earth (remove hardcore from pavement etc. and replace with compost if necessary).  Knock the bottom out of a suitable pot and put it in place to cover hole in pavement.  Plant ivy.  The roots will go down into the earth.

[quote user="cassis"]During cover of darkness chip out pavement or wherever where you plan to put the pot until you get to bare earth (remove hardcore from pavement etc. and replace with compost if necessary).  Knock the bottom out of a suitable pot and put it in place to cover hole in pavement.  Plant ivy.  The roots will go down into the earth.

[/quote]

That would work. Damn you, little Soss for casting me in an even worse light![;-)]

Nicos,

The passion flower sounds like a great idea, is it easy to keep under control, i am semi-detached so will need to keep it from my neighbours property?

I think i will have to go with Cassis's idea of  digging up the road in the dark hours, as my pot will need to be a lot smaller than your sink, now need a silent mini digger [6]

J