Grass cutting

French Frank

This is one of those questions like "how long is a bit of string?" ie it all depends. Whether the worker is providing the machine or using yours, whether he's a fully registered gardener or working cash in hand , whether he's near or far away etc. Could be anything from 10 to 40 euros per hour. Or you might be able to negotiate a figure for doing the job, not hourly. Many jobbing gardeners use the cheque d'emploi payment system which covers you and his social payments.

• 2 weeks later...

We had ours cut recently by a contracter,from waist high with tussocks etc down to ground level.Area is just under an acre and is in Haute Vienne, he charged us €80 and even did part of garden we had not expected.V pleased.[:D]

The cuttings have been left as is and I expect they will rot down over the winter.

Johnnyboy.

• 2 weeks later...
Hell Joynnyboy - where did you find that bloke?!!  Sounds like a bargain to me!

A couple of years ago when we were not here perm, the garden at our holiday home had gone crazy - neighbours complaining, mayor complaining because neighbours complaining, but I never had time to do it as we were only over for a few days at a time, so I asked for a quote from a local guy.  The garden was no more than 100m2 and he quoted 1500euros to bring it down to ground level!  I was waiting for him to convert the figures he was writing down into euros from Francs!  You can guess that I never actually asked him to come back.  In the end I bit the bullet and spend two days getting cut to shreds and did it myself.

Matt

[quote user="johnnyboy"]

The cuttings have been left as is and I expect they will rot down over the winter.

[/quote]

The cuttings won't rot down over the winter ... they will just stop the new grass coming through properly and will look unattractive (but you might not care about that if it's not close to your house).  We had this done several years running and it all just looked a mess.

As it's a relitively small amount of land, I would recommend you raking it up.  This will allow new grass, and any wildflowers, to grow without hinderence.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree the cuttings may be unsightly and may not rot down,but needs must as we will have too much to do when the builders finish later in year!!

May even have to go down same route again for this year due to above too. Apparently the reason it was so cheap is because we could afford to wait until the guy had other jobs in the area and it was worth his while to do several. A good point to remember in future. He was recommended to us by our usual guy, who did not have the equipment to deal with the field BTW.

Cannot get anything round the back of the house now in any case, as the macon is putting in drainage/fosse septique/rainwater collection tanks etc!!

Johnnyboy.