unwelcome guest

bigears

hi

Have noticed for the last two nights at around bedtime (10 ish) a large hare in our garden.  It likes our old brussel sprout plants and has nipped off some bits of our strawberry plants, everthing else seems ok.  What damage can it do and what can I do about it?  I love wild life, this one is just getting in the wrong place.

[:P][:'(][:@][:D]Do you realize with your non de plume of bigears you may be killing off your own family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so sad -I bet he lived on your land before you or former owners built the house-I SAY LIVE AND LET LIVE --COME ON YOU ANIMAL LOVERS -START A SAVE THE BUNNY RABBIT--OR HARE -PLEASE IT WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR WORRIES ABOUT THE EURO-WELL AT LEAST FOR A WHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![Www]

[quote user="bigears"]

hi again

Local farmers wife has loaned us her trap, which is now sitting in our garden with some old carrots and cabbage in it to entice the critter in.  Will keep you informed.

[/quote]

I hope this is a humane trap?  and you will be taking her to a field after you have caught her?

I agree , her family have probally been living there for generations before you... live and let live ....... if you grew a few extra plants than what you needed there would be enough for both of you.Or fence off your veg plot .......

I think it is just hairsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All we are saying  ----

IS    

GIVE IT  A CHANCE.

With apologies to the Beattles--- singers not creepy crawlies--now those i d'ont like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give the bunny a chance

hi again

We lost some cabbages last night.  The trap is set again with even more tempting delights to entice the critter in.  It is a humane trap, it will have a last supper and will then be passed on to the farmers wife, who seemed to indicate she has a plan for it.  The other information is that she (farmers wife) doesn't think its a hare, rather a small deer.  In that case, the trap isn't any good, oh deer.  When I saw it the other night it looked hare size to me, with big ears.  Will keep you informed.

A terrier of some sorts would sort it out.  Just let it eat the lot, better for it than crocquets !

If it is a little deer (no expense spared !) give the local Chase a call.  I think the hunting season has finished now, but it is a pest, is it not ?  and I'm sure the local Farmer's wife would delight in that !

Thats the worse thing you could do Suninfrance (what sun !).  If you move it from its "home" it'll just try to find its way back and most likely get killed on the road or by a Fox.  Its become a pest by all accounts, so take a shot at it, or set the dogs on it.  Thats life in France, get used to it !  That namby pamby ah isnt it sweet approach is no good in the country.

hi

nothing in the trap, farmers wife thinks it will be a small deer.  I've added more chicken type wire to our boundary fence, don't think a small or large deer can get in now.  I'm wondering if an escaped rabbit or two are the culprits.  We see  prints and droppings on the segment where we have planted potatoes, It was manured not too long ago so the criters may think its the place to do it.  No sightings to report, I need a moonlight night.  Heard the local hunters out the other day, they were banging away at something, hopefully they have despatched our criter(s).

hi

they had a great time last night eating all the collies.  I'm thinking we have rabbits living in the garden.  We disappeared for 4 months over the winter and wonder if some critters have set up shop in the garden. Will try and find any evidence today.