HELP WITH LAWN THAT IS FULL OF DAISYS

magaret

Daisy's a cow.  Sheep don't eat cows.

Plenty of lawn weedkillers in the brico sheds, supermarkets etc.  Some are in granules so you need a spreader to distribute evenly otherwise you get burning.  Others you dilute and water on.

Our "lawn" is full of daisies, cowslips, clover and sweet violets.  I like it. 

Magaret, I wouldn't be too troubled by the amount of daisies you have as they will go once you start mowing.  That's the good news!  The bad news is that once you start mowing you wake up the moles which will bring you back here for more advice.

[quote user="magaret"] Thanking you all for nothing.[/quote]

Of course you can get pellets in France, as Cassis confirmed.

Perhaps no one who has (so far) read this thread knows the name of a particular product, but there's no need to be rude to the people who replied in such a good natured, friendly way.

Personally, I use this.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/DaisyGrubber.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Tressy"][quote user="magaret"] Thanking you all for nothing.[/quote]

Of course you can get pellets in France, as Cassis confirmed.

Perhaps no one who has (so far) read this thread knows the name of a particular product, but there's no need to be rude to the people who replied in such a good natured, friendly way.

Personally, I use this.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/DaisyGrubber.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

croire que

Well Magaret with that atitude what do you expect !!

There's no quick fix, dig it up and start again if you truly want rid.!  My Grandfather used to go around with a knive cutting out pesty weeds (buttercup is by far the worst). But that was with lawns of a few 100 m2, try that with anything approaching 1000m2 and you'll soon give up.

But, easiest is just keep it mowed, once per week in the growing season.  Then harrow and reseed in the spring and autumn.  Thick grass will soon be back !

If you have space for sheep, that suggestion is a very good one, they keep a nice tight crop of the grass without tearing it.  Then you can stock the freezer come winter.

[quote user="pcwhizz"]Well Magaret with that atitude what do you expect !!

There's no quick fix, dig it up and start again if you truly want rid.!  My Grandfather used to go around with a knive cutting out pesty weeds (buttercup is by far the worst). But that was with lawns of a few 100 m2, try that with anything approaching 1000m2 and you'll soon give up.

But, easiest is just keep it mowed, once per week in the growing season.  Then harrow and reseed in the spring and autumn.  Thick grass will soon be back !

If you have space for sheep, that suggestion is a very good one, they keep a nice tight crop of the grass without tearing it.  Then you can stock the freezer come winter.
[/quote]

Thank you

Someone with at least some advice that seems good.

Again i thank you.

Hey Magaret,  Tressy even put a photo of what you can use to remove them, funnily enough it's called a daisy grubber! Here........... http://www.amazon.co.uk/BURGON-BALL-DAISY-GRUBBER/dp/B000NNQ9DG

Oh and Google is your friend, you're sat at the computer, so whilst waiting for the replies you would like, Google!

Dealing with weeds in the lawn
An area of rough grass can rapidly become a pleasing lawn and the time and effort required after the initial effort depends largely on whether you can tolerate clover, daisies and buttercups in your lawn.
Although buttercups are attractive they are so invasive it is best to get rid of them. The regular application of a good weed and feed mixture is by far the best way to get rid of daisies, buttercups and clover. It is entirely possible to have a modestly acceptable lawn by doing no more than mowing regularly, collecting the grass, and feeding in spring and autumn.
However such a lawn is likely to slowly deteriorate and all areas of grass benefit from additional maintenance as described above.

[quote user="magaret"]

I was told as a young person that England was a land of  Shop-keepers and Gardeners.

Well from the answers above you lot must have all been shop-keepers before you moved.

Thanking you all for nothing.

[/quote]

Interesting.  You originally posted:

[quote user="magaret"]We have a very large lawn that is full of

daisys,they look nice but we wish the remove them.Is there a pelleted

type killer for this sort of thing,or the like that will remove them

for good.[/quote]

Now, to my mind, you were asking if there were pelleted type killers to get rid of daisies; I replied:

[quote user="Cassis"]Plenty of lawn weedkillers in the brico sheds,

supermarkets etc.  Some are in granules so you need a spreader to

distribute evenly otherwise you get burning.  Others you dilute and

water on.

Our "lawn" is full of daisies, cowslips, clover and sweet violets.  I like it.  [/quote]

To my mind, that directly answered your question.  So what was your subsequent post all about then?  Someone stand on your corns?  [8-)]

Cutting the grass and keeping it in good condition by feeding it will stop daisies getting a grip, but once they are there that alone doesn't work as a treatment. See other replies for details.

Jeese, touchy buggers today arn't we !  It'll be the depression over France this week, done nowt but rain for days [:'(].  Never mind, due some sunshine at the weekend, that should cheer us all up !  You'll quickly learn Margaret to tread carefully on this Forum [;-)]

Now back to the lawn.  How big is it ?  Anything more than  a few 100 m2 is going to cost a fortune to treat with what ever chemical you chose to use and will need some form of machine to distribute it properly.  I think its very english having a perfectly manicured lawn, why bother ?   Enjoy the garden  for its size, you dont have to worry about every plant and weed, because your plot as a natural beauty from its size, not a forced titmarsh thing in a tiny space overlooked by every neighbour !  I always think when I see a perfect lawn  that the owner has nothing else to do, just check out their trees, all perfectly pruned  !

[quote user="magaret"]  croire que   [/quote]

Blimey. It's hard enough when people write incomplete sentences in English.

What are you trying to say to me?

You can say it in English, or French, but incomplete sentiments in Bablefish like English to French translations are a waste of everyones time.