La Parfait jars

CeeJay

Not sure if this is in the right Section but.......

Last year we had a glut of produce in our peit jardin and luckily also aquired from a friend an American canning pressure cooker. We spent many happy days canning all sorts of things into the 1 litre La Parfait jars. On returning to Uk for the winter we started to look forward to eating our own summer produce. However we have had an enormous struggle to get the lids off the jars!! We have tried very hot running water, immersion in hot water, even a hammer and wooden spatula but still no luck except for the jars splintering on the outside. The jars are the clip down type not the screw ones.

Can anyone help in a) the best method to release the lids and b) how do we prevent this happening again this year. I have heard it said that before the rubber ring seals are attached it may be necessary to coat them with something to allow free access......any ideas?

Your options are

1. A pair of pliers (just pull)

2. A little key with a slot in it (just turn) like the ones we used to get with a tin of sardines last century - Di bought ours at Leclerc, the new key not the tin of sardines.

3. This should happen, if it hasn't it hasn't worked.

John

When you steralise them the result is a vacuum in the jar as the contents cool. It's quite normal. If not, they probably aren't steralised properly. The method we use to open them is pliars on the tab as mentioned above. Give it a gentle pull until you hear the satisfying 'hiss' of air entering. Then, if necessary, use whatever comes to hand to prise open the lid if it won't open easily. As a bloke I'd say use a knife, scissors, the wife's eyebrow tweezers or her nail file. My wife would say buy an expensive designer opener from the gadget shop...

Tom

Thanks for that Tarn1, however I have used all sorts of implements which have a) ripped off the rubber tab  b) cause shards of glass to fly everywhere. The net result is that I am left only to admire my handiwork of last year and not sample the fruits of my labours!! The fact that the canning process was successful does nothing to quell my frustration!!

But thanks for the replies all. This year I shall make sure that I either do not grow as much or alternatively eat as much as I can to generate as much fat as possible for the winter!.

There is one version of the rubber seals that has a lighter colour strip running to the edge of the tab - and in the strip is a hole that stops short of the edge. To release the vacuum you just snip through the coloured bit.

Trouble is I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. One of our local producers of potted everything uses them so I will enquire.

The other trouble is that the seal can only be used once - not that anyone would dream of re-using them of course!

Ok........ Now could someone please tell me how you use the jars to begin with! There they are, shiny and of so useful looking in the shops; in fact loads and loads of them. Equally, I have lots of produce I would like to bottle-up if only I knew how. (I am getting edgy about my ancient English freezer's ability to cope for much longer.) Does anyone out there have an idiot's guide to bottling, or is there a book to buy, (in English please) ?  Help. Before it all kicks off again for a new season.

• 2 weeks later...

This reply may be more frustrating then helpful, but have a look on the cookery section, I remember printing a very helpful step by step guide which had been written by a knowledgable person, unfortunately I have not found the reference but a regular user might remember it.

Jeanne 

[quote user="Chocolate"]

Ok........ Now could someone please tell me how you use the jars to begin with! There they are, shiny and of so useful looking in the shops; in fact loads and loads of them. Equally, I have lots of produce I would like to bottle-up if only I knew how. (I am getting edgy about my ancient English freezer's ability to cope for much longer.) Does anyone out there have an idiot's guide to bottling, or is there a book to buy, (in English please) ?  Help. Before it all kicks off again for a new season.

[/quote]

Search the net for instructions on bottling (or as the US says "canning") vegetables.

John

• 3 weeks later...

[quote user="Ceejay"]Not sure if this is in the right Section but.......
Last year we had a glut of produce in our peit jardin and luckily also aquired from a friend an American canning pressure cooker. We spent many happy days canning all sorts of things into the 1 litre La Parfait jars. On returning to Uk for the winter we started to look forward to eating our own summer produce. However we have had an enormous struggle to get the lids off the jars!! We have tried very hot running water, immersion in hot water, even a hammer and wooden spatula but still no luck except for the jars splintering on the outside. The jars are the clip down type not the screw ones.
Can anyone help in a) the best method to release the lids and b) how do we prevent this happening again this year. I have heard it said that before the rubber ring seals are attached it may be necessary to coat them with something to allow free access......any ideas?[/quote]

Found in the latest Tompress catalogue: http://tompress.com/ouvre_bocaux_p1012.htm

• 2 weeks later...