Garden Bonfires In France?

Gluestick

Does anyone have any hard information on this topic, please?

Last time I checked, bonfires were prohibited, all provided one's commune enjoyed a collection service.

In which case they were permitted, al provided they were not a regular nuisance.

Mine does not: I checked last week.

Whilst the decheterie have a dedicated area for garden organic waste (along with everything else), they definitively do not offer any form of collection.

I suspect that there's no hard & fast rule - it'll depend on the Commune.

Around here, no burning June - Aug. After that, go ahead, but be sensible. So ........... it's very dry just now and I wouldn't dream of doing anything until things have dampened down a bit. Doesn't make you bomb-proof though.

I use braissieres, rather than an open fire. I keep a hose ready, but it's not the answer if a problem were to arise.

I suppose the answer is to be sensible, watch the fire and dampen down when you're done.

To quote

Les déchets verts doivent être déposés en déchetterie ou dans le cadre de la collecte sélective organisée par la commune. Vous pouvez également en faire un compost individuel .

Néanmoins, dans une zone rurale ou péri-urbaine dépourvue de déchetterie dans laquelle aucun système de collecte n'est prévu, il est possible de faire brûler ses déchets verts dans son jardin sous certaines conditions.

Translated

Green waste must be deposited at a recycling centre or as part of the collection organised by the municipality . You can also make compost.

However, in rural or suburban areas without a recycling centre where no collection system is provided, it is possible to burn green waste in the garden under certain conditions

IE If there is no decheterie AND there is no collection service you may be able to burn your waste.

We have 3 acres and more than 100 trees as well as endless hedges. We have no alternative really other than to have bonfires. Obviously we don't have these in July and August or anwhere near crops in the adjoining fields. After the storms of last night we've had a few fallen large trees. Today has been spent clearing the debris and preparing bonfires. We do burn with caution and a hose pipe to hand.

I will most certainly let everyone know, Pierre!

We have an ongoing problem with this, as far too many woody bushes, shrubs, hedges and trees: for 12 years we have disposed of the detritus by careful controlled bonfires; when the material is dry and thus not heavily smoky.

Unfortunately, two years ago the prairie alongside two main boundaries has been developed into a poseur's palace, by a local paisan farmer and his even more up herself wife. One questions how and why a development totally outside the guidelines for acceptable style was allowed. I did complain, bitterly, to the Prefecture for the department: no answer! Which is strange; after all, when I wrote to M. L le President Nicolas Sarkozy, I received a personal letter from his Chef de cabinet, Guillaume Lambert, in response. (This was on the matter of the proposed extra tax levy on non-French nationals owning property in France. Thankfully abandoned). I also wrote to Hague the Vague, at the FCO; no response whatsoever. Not surprised. Ignorant oik.

During the development they made our lives miserable: often having fires, of course.

Unfortunately, as the biggest farmer in the tiny commune of circa 120 residents, he acts as a "grand legume" and naturally, as the largest local employer, enjoys significant pull with the local maire.

I shall, as stated check this issue with the mairie and the canton hotel de ville: which you and I share, I believe; Fruges. (Just checked and yes we are both in this Canton).

The civil code seem absolute on this matter, when and where the commune does not provide a collection Service.

However, in la belle France, civil codes are often ignored with gay abandon......

Gluestick wrote:

The civil code seem absolute on this matter, when and where the commune does not provide a collection Service.

However, in la belle France, civil codes are often ignored with gay abandon......

Unquote

I could not agree more. I make no apology for reposting the observations of our own canton, where in our commune carefully controlled bonfires have been tolerated or ignored, whereas in the neighbouring commune any infringement is met with a personal visit and admonishment from the maire. Both communes share the same and not local dechetterie and the distance from the centre of each commune is pretty much the same (11km).

The only real difference is that we are on top of a hill whereas the neighbouring commune is in the valley - with a potential accumulation of smoke.

I think some of you are misunderstanding perhaps due to a Google translate.

Néanmoins, dans une zone rurale ou péri-urbaine dépourvue de déchetterie dans laquelle aucun système de collecte n'est prévu, il est possible de faire brûler ses déchets verts dans son jardin sous certaines conditions.

The key phrase is "dépourvue de déchetterie" which was absent from the Google translate. = "deprived of (not having) a déchetterie"

For me it is simple, if your commune does not have (access to) a déchetterie and no other collection system is provided/offered then you may burn your green waste in your garden under certain conditions.

Ergo, if you have a déchetterie or a collection of green waste then you may not.

I totally agree as I said earlier....

IE If there is no decheterie AND there is no collection service you may be able to burn your waste.

At the very start I said that a Decheterie would count as a collection service.

Around here if you burn garden waste, you will receive a visit from the Gendarmes.

The rules don't apply to to farmers or the lotissement in the village centre I suspect that might be because it belongs to the Gendarmerie.......