Irises

Mr Coeur de Lion

Here is the Iris care  pdf : http://www.iris-cayeux.com/pictos/planting.pdf

Cowoman, I can't tell if that is Nepeta or Salvia billowing over the grass (Salvia I think) but you might need to take very firm anti slug measures to keep the Delphiniums.

Will you only be able to view the garden in the summer ? It's hard to tell but it looks as if it might not have much of interest for the other seasons.......

That looks like Perovskia to me.  I desperately wanted to grow this (when in Yorkshire!!!!) but failed.  The altitude and atrocious conditions prevailed against it.  I now have a beautiful, huge, south facing patch and have just planted my latest Perovskias (one pink and one blue).  It is all looking good so far...

[quote user="mossie"]

I have a truly magnificent clump of white arum lillies in the border (just about the only nice plant left by the previous lot!).  However it was very windy yesterday and I woke to find half of the clump lying on the floor (up to 15 lillies looking very sad).  At first the dog was the culprit but no paw prints so I am pretty sure it was the wind.  My question is, what is the best thing to do?  Should I stake it all back up or cut off those flowers which have fallen over and leave it to sort itself out.  At first I was hoping it might just right itself, but no sign of that yet.  Help much appreciated.

[/quote]

I find this really strange as Arums are usually pretty firmly anchored to the ground and a big clump should easily be self supporting.  Unlike Irises their rhizomes are usually a bit below the ground.  Perhaps you have light soil.  If the flowers are intact I would firm the plant in (a boot in the right place does the trick) and if it still seems a bit rocky support with stakes and a bit of string round until the roots get a good grip again.  If the flowers or their stems are damaged they'll have to go.  It is not too late in the season for more to come up.

Liz

Thank you for this Liz.  Perhaps the dog is the culprit then, it is just so hard to tell.  It was the fact that it coincided with a very windy night that the dog was initially excused.  It is such a huge clump, almost my height at nearly six feet and so big, you couldn't get your arms around it, which is why I was hesitant to stake it up, as I didn't want the rope to cut into the stems under their own weight.  I definitely don't have light soil, so that is not the problem!  The plant still looks in a rather sad state, although starting to put out new flowers.  I think I will have to bite the bullet and cut a lot of the fallen stuff off although some of it is definitely trying to get back upright.  I am a bit depressed about this as it was my pride and joy in the border.  You are of course right, there is plenty of time for new growth.  It would have to be this week though, my best friend arrives for the royal inspection of our new house!!!!!