Easy one for you experts

Barbel Bob

Hi all,

As a new gardener! who has inherited from the previous owner I would like some help identifying the shrub below,  i need to know its name so i can read up on what care its needs now its flowers are dying off, I would also like to know whether i should of supported it as the flowers all ended up on the floor, i presume due to the weight!!

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll263/dordogne1/PC070072.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll263/dordogne1/PC070071.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, definitely the glorious peony.  My husband is very scathing of these flowers because they have a few fantastic blooms and then are very quickly gone, but I think their beauty more than makes up for their brief showing.  I picked up a very useful tip from Alan Titchmarsh whilst watching the Chelsea Flower Show recently - don't move them.  Apparently they really don't like it.  So I hope you like where they are!!!!

With the greatest respect to Mr Titchmarsh, peonies can be moved safely, but it needs to be done in the autumn, and requires care. Peonies have two kinds of root: fine growing roots, and thick roots almost like tubers. The latter are extremely brittle, and need great care to keep them intact. A break isn't a total disaster, as the root will usually grow again unless planted in too wet a spot. 

If moving herbaceous peonies, take care to replant at the right level - if they sink lower (common when planting into newly cultivated soil) they leaf OK, but will fail to flower in future.  The double flowering kind are prone to flopping, especially if they get wet. In my experience single flowered varieties are more robust, and flower for a longer period.

Chris

We have also moved our peonies ... in fact the same ones as you have which I think are called 'Bowl of Beauty' and smell heavenly ... they came from the UK with us, were planted in our first French home and were then moved again to our second - spending some time in pots between times!  We have had loads of flowers this year and they look extremely healthy.  My OH is the gardener & he always moves them in November, obviously taking great care as Chris said.