Weed identification needed

Lavie

What i thought was an impressive wild flower my neighbour says is a weed!

I've never seen one in UK and would be interested in knowing its name.

They probably exist throughout France but i'm in the Loire region.

It starts out with green furry (like rabbit ears!) leaves that became about a foot long and then sends up a giant stalk up to 5 foot high, sometimes more.

This then has lots of small 'branches' with loads and loads of bright yellow flowers on it.

At the moment i have one laden with yellow flowers and has made 6 ft high and it looks very impressive.....for a weed!

I have pictures if anyone can put them on this site for me (as i've failed trying!)  

Does anyone have any ideas what it's called?

[quote user="Just Katie"]I had a few of them in my garden in Wales.  Don't they call them lambs ears?[/quote]

No, you loon, that's Stachys byzantium.[:D][;-)]

Verbascum Olympicum would be more like Alien Elephants Ears.

*Runs off to check....*[:D]

Sorry, no I don't.  I have just googled your verbascum whatever and that is not what I have.  My weed is a single, sturdy stem of about 3-4 ft with fuzzy leaves and yellow flowers popping out of the stem.

Go on then Tres............................Name that plant!!!! [:)]

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Sorry, no I don't.  I have just googled your verbascum whatever and that is not what I have.  My weed is a single, sturdy stem of about 3-4 ft with fuzzy leaves and yellow flowers popping out of the stem.

[/quote]

No no, Kittie, what I meant was that Verbascum Olympicum is not known as 'Lambs Ears'. Your plant may well be Lambs Ears though. Try googling a few images using 'lambs ears' and see what comes up.[:)]

[quote user="Tressy"]

[quote user="Just Katie"]I had a few of them in my garden in Wales.  Don't they call them lambs ears?[/quote]

No, you loon, that's Stachys byzantium.[:D][;-)]

Verbascum Olympicum would be more like Alien Elephants Ears.

*Runs off to check....*[:D]

[/quote]

Nope, thats not it!!  Two chances left.

Lavie, was Tressy correct with you, have you googled it yet?

[quote user="Tressy"][quote user="Just Katie"]

[/quote]

No no, Kittie, what I meant was that Verbascum Olympicum is not known as 'Lambs Ears'. Your plant may well be Lambs Ears though. Try googling a few images using 'lambs ears' and see what comes up.[:)]

[/quote]

I have and it is not lambs ears, it is something else.

[quote user="Just Katie"]Nope, thats not it!!  Two chances left.[/quote]

But...but, I only guessed at Lavie's! Then you came stomping in saying you had one yourself, and that it was called Lambs ears.

Now you're saying it isn't, and getting the firing squad ready for me if I fail to identify your plant!

I'm really scared of you! You've gone all fierce and 'Parisian'.[blink][6]

Edit. Try Phlomis, Katie.

no, it's not lambs ears either! ALthough the leaves

(when smaller) have the same soft texture. The leaves now are about a foot long

and are only at the base of the plant. The rest is all flowers. Its not Verbascum Olympicum either!! More ideas please??!!

Its not Phlomis either for me!  I've asked my (french) neighbours and none of them know its name but have seen them but i'm the only one thats not killing them (the plants that is!) off with weedkiller!

Lavie, where is your house? It might be a plant that's common to your area, but not mine. You can add your location (eg, department name) to your profile so people won't need to ask again.[:)]

Did you send Cooperlola a picture? Without pictures or a more detailed description it's too hard for me.[:$]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Not phlomis for me either.[/quote]

I should never have got involved. All the real gardeners here are having a siesta. Still at least the topic will keep popping back up to the top of 'Active'.

Katie, you can add your location to your profile, too.

[quote user="Tressy"]

[quote user="Just Katie"]Not phlomis for me either.[/quote]

Katie, you can add your location to your profile, too.

[/quote]

Top of a hill in South Wales

Lavie, does it sound to you that we have the same plant?  I have never seen one before either.  Maybe we could start breeding them [geek]

Voila:

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/GetAttachment.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/GetAttachment2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/GetAttachment3.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing like a bit of team work, eh gals?

Yes it does look like we have the same thing. I have a 'collection' of 4 but only one is at the flowering stage.

Cooperlola is kindly going to put up my pics. I've got to go out but will back to google the suggestions in an hour or so! (edited for spelling!)