What tractor

melmoth

Hahahaha, that explains a lot, thanks Albert !  I wondered why the french go all coy when I talked about air c0n and insist on calling it clim  [:D]

That'll be today's word for me. It just shows how careful you need to be - if in doubt, say nowt !

Tracteurtom.  The word you mentioned, but which we are not allowed to type also means "very stupid".  He is a con, he is an idiot.  But it can also be used between pals in a friendly way such as when someone does something daft, you can say "que tu es con!"  The act of being con is doing a connerie.

But if you ask someone if they have "l'air con", you are not asking them if they have clim, but if they look like a real fool!   [:P]

Hope this has helped as much as your knowledge on the tracteurs.   [:D]

Wow Christine, yes that does help, thanks.  Funny how asking something in English that makes perfect sense is an insult in French ! 

I think I'll just stay away from that little 3 letter word as my Franglish is well mixed up  [:)]  Its a beauty of mechanical things and animals, they dont answer back and make you feel a fool (or should that be con [:D]