North facing wall

Charlotte3

Hello everyone,

The front of our house faces north, is there any sort of climbing plant that would do well there, something that would reach to the top of the house (two storeys) and I would love something that flowers , or at least have a little extra colour to it?

Is there anything that would do the job, or is it all wishfull thinking?

Thank you,

Aly

Climbing rose Mermaid?

Excellent large attractive flowers (but not vulgar), scented, long flowering period, virtually evergreen, quite likes a north-facing position, robust, will do two storeys, does not require - or even like - much pruning.

And the thorns are so aggressive that no one will ever dare an illicit entry through a window.

[quote user="odile"]a climbing hydrangea? Can take a while to properly establish, but then will look after itself and is evergreen.
[/quote]

Ours wasn't evergreen in Kent, but the leaves turned a lovely butter yellow before dropping. Just make sure your house suface is up to it. We had fairly soft pebble-dash and one day the hydrangea just peeled off it, taking a very thin layer of sand & cement with it on all the rootlets. I managed to get it back in place with some nailed on ties to hold it in place and after a while it grabbed on again.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and helpful link.

I do however have one other question I should have mentioned earlier......I will have to be planted in a large container as we're on the main road and have pavements right up to the front of the house.

I love the idea of a climbing rose, would it be possible?

Aly

My hydrangea was in a raised bed about 1m x 2m (can't remember exactly) and about 30-40 cm high/deep. That was made of loose-laid bricks sitting on a concrete base.

I only used to water it in extended droughts. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to use a container less than a metre across if you're expecting to cover a big wall and you don't want to have to water every day.

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

Thanks everyone for your ideas and helpful link.

I do however have one other question I should have mentioned earlier......I will have to be planted in a large container as we're on the main road and have pavements right up to the front of the house.

I love the idea of a climbing rose, would it be possible?

Aly[/quote]

I could have sworn someone else here had the same problem. I've searched but can't find it.

I seem to recall someone suggested drilling/chopping a hole in the pavement, (under the position of the pot)  so the plant can get its roots down into the ground.  I don't think I'd dare to do it myself, (being a cowardy custard type), but it would give a large climber a much better chance of success.

I know Coops![:D]

The thing is, I'm sure it was on this forum someone suggested it, but I can't find it. Also, Lavorgere mentioned Zepherine Drouhin on the previous page, and I'm pretty sure I recommended that rose to someone asking a similar question, but can't find any other mention of it.

Has someone been pruning gardening threads?

[quote user="Tressy"]

I could have sworn someone else here had the same problem. I've searched but can't find it.

I seem to recall someone suggested drilling/chopping a hole in the pavement, (under the position of the pot) so the plant can get its roots down into the ground. I don't think I'd dare to do it myself, (being a cowardy custard type), but it would give a large climber a much better chance of success.

[/quote]

This one, Tressy? http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1166240/ShowPost.aspx 

[quote user="Tressy"]The thing is, I'm sure it was on this forum someone suggested it, but I can't find it. Also, Lavorgere mentioned Zepherine Drouhin on the previous page, and I'm pretty sure I recommended that rose to someone asking a similar question, but can't find any other mention of it.

Has someone been pruning gardening threads[/quote]

Your post hasn't moved, Tressy: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1188829/ShowPost.aspx