Gem squash - South African veg

Postie

For those who are familiar with this veg - it thrives in France!                   A bit of home from home [:D] [:D]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/P6210011-1.jpg[/IMG]

Mrs Postie

This is a gem sqaush - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gem_squash and this is a courgette - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courgette

Both from the same family but totally different fruits! A gem is basically a small pumpkin whereas a courgette isn't. I'll send you some seeds (or even a whole fruit) & you can taste the difference for yourself!  [:D]I've tried round courgettes thinking the were the same as gem squash but, no, they ain't!!! Gems have a very delicate flavour and,  like a pumpkin, will keep for months. In fact, next years seeds will be taken from this year's mature fruits.

You are more than welcome - checked on Google maps, you're about 80kms away. You might have to make it a day out! Will even cook up some gems & throw in some other bits for lunch if you fancy? Send me a pm & we'll make a date!

Cheers Mrs Postie

• 2 weeks later...

I have the benefit of the use of a wonderful piece of ground here in Foussais and I love squash.  I grow over ten varieties from heirloom french to butternut to some really unusual ones some from Italy that have a resemblance towards a part of the human anatomy.

I also grow longue de nice which can be eater in t he green or later when they totally mature.

I have a variety of seeds somewhere so will try to find them and could then post them at no cost.

At the moment we are having to cut them back for they are growing so well that they now are going onto the road.!

Hi DR

Am having the same problem with the squashes - have 5 different varieties in this year but the butternut & gems are doing the best by far. Haven't had to resort to cutting yet but they are starting to spread under the maize, which isn't a bad thing. Would love to try some different squashes & will "trade" some seeds for next year if you fancy? PM me with an address.

Mrs Postie

Beware - thread drift alert

Tony, were you involved with HDRA in the good old days back in Bocking ? When I started life as a trainee accountant they were clients, though the practice lost them when they moved oop north.

Alert over

When I saw postie's pic I just thought "One ball" but obviously not. We have found that round courgettes (Paris, Nice etc) tend to yield better but Di prefers to cook with the phallic variety (or that's what she tells me).

John

I was involved back then John tho I dropped out for a long while - I rejoined a couple of years ago but dear old Lawrence Hill would be spinning in his box if he saw how high-tech and trendy, not to mention big business HDRA/Garden Organic has become.

I only remain a member because of the Heritage Seed Library.