Strimmer & lawn mower for weedy woman!

Berlioz

I have a lot of new garden and a bad back, my flymo strimmer/edger is too heavy, the black n'decker sent me to the chiropractor (twice).  I know there was a thread on professional trimmers although I cannot find it (net is rubbish in new house)  I need things electric and very light...........   I have a great Gardener to do the large areas of grass with the ride on mower monthly so I just need to zap under the hedge, around the pool and veg beds etc to keep things tidy. My Hover mower has also given up hovering, I need machines where I do not have to support the weight. 

Suggestions please ?

Gardening isn't easy is it  [:)].  I was told that once you are bent over,

keep down, the pain is just made worse by repeated straightening of the

back !  Thats perhaps why we see many old timers in the country with

bent backs !

Suggest you go to a shop or two and test out the kit on offer.  Re the

strimmer, a proper harness is the way to go as the weight of the

machine is on your back and not your arms.  Why not try weed killer ? 

Or if its just a few weeds one of those flame thrower things for

burning weeds ?  Just dont use it when its dry[+o(].

I got a Bosch with wheels on to take the weight, its my neck and shoulders I have the most problems with, bending isn't the issue. It is also very light. I have nearly 2hectars and mainly want to do under the hedges etc so weedkiller isn't an option there.  The flame thrower is a good idea for the drive though.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Well you ain't gonna hack 2 ha with a amateur electric strimmer on rollers that's for sure !

Why do you think weed killer is a no go ? Applied at the right time of year under hedge rows its ideal for controlling those weeds.  But I guess you wont be lifting a 16l backpack sprayer !

As I said to someone else on this Forum, 2ha is a lot of land (it s not a farm though (!)).  You need a management plan for it.  Whats its purpose, why did you buy it, where do you see it in say 5 years time ?  Those sort of things.  If you just have it because it came with the property and have no desires of farming it then have a word with the local farmers, they could be interested in it for hay or sheep / cattle etc.

You could rent it, sell it or just let someone manage it for you for free, what ever you want.  But what ever you do, dont like it go to seed, even meadows need cutting.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  The Bosch strimmer when fitted with a harness from Homebase for £2.99 (as advised per previous thread otherwise I would not have thought of buying one) works amazingly well, no trips to chiropractor and is fine for under the hedges and around the orchard. (It is important to find the right weight/action for each user depending on specific back/neck  problems my daughter and I spent a t leas 1/2 hour trying all the display ones for weight/swing etc in Castorama)  lawn mower ditto.  The ride on mower is back in working order for Himself to play with. The field has been cut with a tractor by a near neighbour, baled for hay by machnine and will feed his horses.  It will then return eventually as manure for the potager.!!

The house came with agricultural land and as we wanted to keep the privacy and views that went with the property we accept that correct management is necessary.  Having had a large garden in the Uk we were under no illusions that our field of over 1 h. would take care of itself and we did have a management plan for the various areas.  We are currently surrounded by sunflowers in our neighbours field and it is magical.