cherry tomatoes

Dc

for the first time in my life I decided to grow some cherry tomatoes. I have 6 plants and have fed and watered them religiously every day. I have eaten some of the tomatoes and apart from one plant they taste awful. What have I done wrong???

regards

dc

[quote user="Dc"]

for the first time in my life I decided to grow some cherry tomatoes. I have 6 plants and have fed and watered them religiously every day. I have eaten some of the tomatoes and apart from one plant they taste awful. What have I done wrong???

[/quote]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Which variety ?[/quote]

If they are all the same variety, the variety should be irrelevant.  No-one sells evil-tasting varieties, anyway.  I've never heard of anything so weird as a foul-tasting home-grown tomato.  Key point is, why is one okay and the others not?  Are you sure you are not picking too early?  Leave until fully ripened.  You haven't been putting them in the fridge, have you?  That's guaranteed to brugger up the taste.  If not, and you think you've done all the right things, all I can say is stop growing them and try something else next year.  Peppers.  Aubergines.  Pumpkins.  Courgettes.

Are you sure they're ripe? It seems a bit early. None of the tomatoes around here are ripe yet, though some are just starting to redden.

I planted what were labelled as cherry tomatoes and they have turned out huge, so I'm a bit disappointed too.

Last year we grew cherries which were really disappointing; this year we have grown a variety called Ruby and they are delicious. I can't believe that in SW Gers you have't got ripe ones yet. My neighbour takes Bastille Day as the day by which he hopes to have ripe tomatoes. This year we beat it by ten days.

[quote user="Dc"]

[/quote]

The dog didn't pee over them did he?  [+o(]

[quote user="plod"] I can't believe that in SW Gers you have't got ripe ones yet. My neighbour takes Bastille Day as the day by which he hopes to have ripe tomatoes. This year we beat it by ten days.[/quote]

Yes, it does seem very late, perhaps it's just this valley. I'll have a spy-out at other areas and see how they're doing.

It does make me envious when I look at the french potagers, they're so neat and tidy with no weeds.

We've been picking cherry toms for 2 weeks now, get a basket full every day.  All grown outside, non of this under glass nonsense !  The taste is sensational, kids eat them like sweets, you can only get that sweet taste from the sun.  If you force them, they just dont have any flavour - AKA supermarket ones !   OP, I'd chuck the bad tasting ones and see want the next lot taste like.  Any blight ?  If so, get them sprayed or you'll loose the lot.

Incidentally, as regards growing under glass - commercially grown greenhouse tomatoes are picked when they are firm and green to minimize

shipping damage, often a good couple of weeks before they are ripe. 

They may then be refrigerated up to a month before they reach the

supermarket.   Ethylene gas chambers are used to artificially

induce colour and ripeness - not at all the same as allowing the tomatoes to ripen naturally on the vine, where they can obtain maximum sugar content.  Varieties developed specifically for growing commercially under glass are also not necessarily bred for flavour.  As for hydroponically grown commercial toms, the same applies but with knobs on.

[quote user="Dc"]

regards

dc

[/quote]

You fed them every day??

I think they may taste horrible because you are eating near neat liquid fertiliser.  If you must use artificial fertilisers, then once per week should be more than enough.