First Blackberries!?

Monika

I have collected a whole lot of Blackberries (so early!) from our nearby hedgerows and wanted to make a Blackberry and Apple pie, only to find that each Blackberry had a Worm crawling out of it. I have never seen this before. I hope this posting does not spoil the Blackberry Season for you, but why would this occur? 

Have been collecting blackberries for a couple of weeks now, I was told to put them in water for a while after picking, the worms drown and float out,  and yes, it does work[+o(]  The taste is lovely and it has nothing to do with rain as it has done nothing but  chuck it down all summer in Notingham![:(]

We grow the spineless blackberries, the cultivated type and we've been picking one bush for a month or so.

The other two, which I dug up last year-end and replanted in their boxes in spring are also fruiting now and we're just off to pick some more.

Where they originally grew we've got about 8 coming through so I'm only lifting 3/4, I'll let the others grow on and just put some supports round them to make sure they don't flop over - tho if they continue to spread at this rate, I'll be using them in the new hedge, make a fedge from them!

I've just picked a kilo or so from our 'hedge' and am now looking for Grandma's Blackberry and Apple jam recipe I have somewhere....  I will soak them in salty water as above, thanks for the tip. 

Is there any benefit in attempting to prune the bushes/hedge i.e. cut out stems that fruited this year leaving the long new ones for next year? Or do I just cut off anything in the way. I mention this as the bushes around the telegraph pole/drive that must have been  hacked back to allow access to the drive and post box seem to have cropped really well compared to the ones in other parts of the garden.  We have only been here 2 months so I'm still learning about what is where etc ???