best value petrol brushcutter/strimmer ?

cowoman

I got a stihl and think that is your best bet... there always seems to be an offer at your local dealer and for me they have been great for phoning in need of advice etc.

Leclerc seems to do cheep makes and mr bricolage have a range too.

p.s. think carefully about the size of land that needs strimming and get the right motor.

I like Husky stuff (cant be ar*ed reading your links though).  But, be aware that as Husky is now part of the Electrolux group , it may just be a Husky badge on some other 2nd rate product.  Check it out before buying.  Also, can you get the parts easily ?

Recommend you go to a local garden machinery / tractor shop and see whats on offer (loads in Limoges !!).  If I was with you, you would be looking at the best - Stihl and a pro model (FS300 and up) at that.  Nothing comes close, just make sure the shop you buy from stocks all the parts, usually not an issue for a Stihl dealership.

Husqvarna are now independant from Electolux and concentrate on the industrial end of the market unlike McCulloch the DIY brand.  I work for a national tool hire company and we have them in the hire fleet so should be a good buy with a reliable service network in France.

have now bought the husqvana 335 for under £300 and understand that this is a proffesional one,Its good to know that they are sold in France also just incase something goes wrong.Ive got to bring it over on Ryanair but they say its ok despite it being in a really long box!!The good thing is it is a big box but its not too heavy.

[quote user="la firmiere"]Husqvarna are now independant from Electolux and concentrate on the industrial end of the market unlike McCulloch the DIY brand. 

[/quote]

Thats good news, I thought it was a catatrophe with Electrolux took them over, another great name gone into a faceless company, but from what you say, its not so.  I recently bought a Husky rotavator, but I cant find any where on it thats says where it was made ?  Its a nice pice of kit though [:)]

• 4 months later...
cowoman posted a link to Quality Tools where he got his Husqvarna brushcutter.  I followed up on this and ended up getting a Stihl FS90 brushcutter through them. Got it for a very good price and it's a great bit of kit. It appears I got my order (and delivery) in just in time as they are now in liquidation.  That was a close one [:)]

[quote user="DerekJ"]cowoman posted a link to Quality Tools where he got his Husqvarna brushcutter.  I followed up on this and ended up getting a Stihl FS90 brushcutter through them. Got it for a very good price and it's a great bit of kit. It appears I got my order (and delivery) in just in time as they are now in liquidation.  That was a close one [:)]

[/quote]

Coor blimey talk about digging up old posts !

Hope you and the FS90 will have a long and happy life together. Just be aware that the FS90 is very much in the amateur range so treat it carefully - long rests between tank fulls and no blades.  Warranty ????? 

Yeh, you're right, it is an old thread but I thought I'd post on it as it's the one that pointed me at Quality Tools.  I'll take your advice regarding the FS90 although it seems to be positioned within the "Powerful" category within Stihl's brochure and reviews I've read were pretty positive.  As to warranty.... this is something I have to follow up with Stihl.  Apart from the warranty/liquidation question there's also the question of UK purchased but now in France?

Coté Nature's own range of brushcutters are fantastic.  Kawasaki motors, solidly built, excellent value and after sales service (which makes a change).

I bought one for just under 400€, it is smooth running, well balanced, reliable and sturdy.  It has been worked really hard for over a year as a brushcutter in brambles, meadows, rough ground, with blades but also with cords, and it still starts first pull and works like new.