garden paving

connolls

Thank you Weegie.

Babelfish says 'overall surface rough' which is a bit ambiguous. Is that I wonder supposed to be taken literally as a rough unfinished surface, such as bare concrete for instance, or mean the area and if the latter why 'rough' and not 2sq/m or 20sq/m or whatever it in fact is ?

I'm sure that the terraces that require permission are those that are an integral part of the building. I'm not convinced that a simple paved area, flush with the lawn, requires an OK from the Mairie even in France.

My view seems to be supported by many references on French DIY and like sites.

One example...........

http://limousin-poitou-charentes.france3.fr/emissions/c-est-mieux-le-matin/rubriques/ma-maison-mon-jardin/43505659-fr.php

My point exactly and at the risk of repeating myself Clair's earlier pasted reference does talk specifically of Terraces in which context it makes sense which other interpretations simply do not.

The ultimate answer of course is to ask/tell the Marie anyway although I suspect they might chuckle and call you 'crazy roti boeuf', a bit like when volunteering to pay your taxes [blink]

Ernie

SHOB - Total gross surface area of the works (ie.  the area before deduction of allowances for example inside a building areas in the eaves which come under the specified height and are considered "unusable").

"brute" meaning "gross"

After the deductions the area is then SHON (Nett).

I would suggest that for a paved area the SHOB and the SHON would be the same.

PS  I'm more of a "haggis eater" than a "rosbif".[:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]Clair,

On the site you copied the rules on Terraces from there is another section which mentions 20sq m which is a number I have previously seen in relation to new construction and seems eminently more reasonable !

It's a bit confusing in translation so I wonder if you'd care to comment ?

And what on earth does SHOB mean ?

[/quote]

You asked the same question on a different thread and were given the answer to your question.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1446788/ShowPost.aspx

Hello again,

Well I'm totally baffled as the original poster, but will talk to the maire anyway, even if she thinks me a little strange. I'm still interested if anyone has suggestions of places to get resonably priced paving though !!!

I didn't think such a simple question would create such a confusion, just shows i'm still not used to how weird french regulations are. Keep it up !!![8-)]

• 4 weeks later...

I hadnt seen this thread until now, I am in the process of block paving 150m2 of parking of which about 20m2 is existing tarmac the rest being compacted soil.

I first asked a couple of  local developers who seem to know what can and cannot have a blind eye turned to, they both told me that any parking be it tarmac, concrete or paving needed permission as would the soil retaining walls I am building around it.

So next I went to the Mairie and the secretary (the Maire only holds court a couple of evenings a week) told me I didnt need permission, I also asked her about the walls, she asked how high whereupon I indicated the mid point of my thigh, "vous n'avez pas de souci" was the reply. I am fairly certain that her avis is incorrect and that she probably knows so but that is how things work in my village and I know exactly who wears the trousers in our Mairie. [:D]

I am having to import my paving from Belgium to get anything near an acceptable price. The negotiations are nearly at an end, the only stumbling block being my objection to paying €2 for the discharge of each pallet on top of the delivery, I usually say that we have a forklift and on the day I start offloading by hand which usually does the trick but I cant risk a delivery lorry from Belgium not having a pallet lift.