How to keep moles away...

Kitty

I've had fair success with the explosive device, like a tiny firework, that is triggered when the mole comes along to find out who disturbed his molehill.  It must be the most humane method.

Admittedly we don't have small children playing in the garden; that could be a problem. 

I don't see much point in anything that merely drives the moles away.  Where are they going to go?   Your neighbour will do his best to send them back, and you can't blame him, can you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="allanb"]I've had fair success with the explosive device, like a tiny firework, that is triggered when the mole comes along to find out who disturbed his molehill.  It must be the most humane method.

Admittedly we don't have small children playing in the garden; that could be a problem. 

I don't see much point in anything that merely drives the moles away.  Where are they going to go?   Your neighbour will do his best to send them back, and you can't blame him, can you?

[/quote]

It seems that killing a mole just creates a vacuum to be filled by another mole. The solution is only temporary.

I've started to reap the harvest of lovely tilth. [:D]

Lesson No 24. How to impress your French neighbours:

1. Bounce a heavy ball repeatedly in the back garden

2. See the moles burrow into their gardens

Another week has gone by and the moles are not back.  I'm still bouncing the football every day though.

Should I patent the idea?

[quote user="Cathy"]

Lesson No 24. How to impress your French neighbours:

1. Bounce a heavy ball repeatedly in the back garden

2. See the moles burrow into their gardens

Another week has gone by and the moles are not back.  I'm still bouncing the football every day though.

Should I patent the idea?

[/quote]

Maybe a video, "The Cathy method to fitness and mole free existence" ( or how to really p**s off your neighbours)

Gluestick, I realy do worry about you at times. Slapper moles indeed and on the sabbath too???

I have said it before and will repeat myself. The best way to stop moles digging up your garden is to hide their bruddy shovels!!

As has been said earlier, moles are territorial and if you get rid of one lt it then becomes a 'des-res' for the next lot. If you leave them they will dig their runs and when they have completed that they will not dig any more. They get rid of a lot of undesirables in the garden and do a lot of good as well as the initial molehills. By destroying their runs they will carry on and dig more...

Progress report:

I went away for 3 days last week.  A mole or two came back because, upon my return, there were two small holes at the end of their tunnels.  So out came the football, boucing it 10 times every time I went out into the garden.  Hey presto.  They haven't been back.  It's now 4 days since I did this and there are NO more mole hills.

Bouncing a football a day keeps the moles at bay....

• 1 month later...
Back to moles.

I have been happily reading about the mole problems of others and smugly thinking 'we dont have moles' - WRONG.

Just had a phone conversation with SWMBO and we have a major mole issue. To the extent that she watched a new mole hill grow in front of her this afternoon.

She claims there is a French mole trap which you place in the hole, when triggered by said mole it gets decapitated [6]  She refuses point blank to inflict such punishment on a mole.

I think we need a Cathy video copy  and a heavy football. I wonder if that would keep the grand children occupied? [I]

How long is the mole 'season' anyway?

The nearest neighbour is hundreds of metres away, we are surrounded by acres of farmland, WHY do the 'poor little things' have to choose our garden?

Insensitive, unfeeling, destructive little saboteurs, they are probably bred in some dark cottage to be anti-English [:@]

Steve, I always knew that you had no sense of humour [6]? They are very sensitive, feeling and constructive little things. Just look at the incredible underground system they have in your own garden. You should be proud of them, not angry [:D].

Sit down, relax and have a nice cool beer[B]. You will feel much better about the situation and yourself [8-|][8-|]!!

Edit :- Just noticed your signature. 12 daze to France peut etra???

The smoke bombs worked for a couple of days, then they came back and opened up the runs with fresh hills. So I'm now trying the sonic devices. No moles for a week, now, and the battery devices were cheaper than the bombs.

They've also cleared out from half of my neighbour's garden.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Edit :- Just noticed your signature. 12 daze to France peut etra???

[/quote]

Ins'Allah

ps 'God Willing' for the non-arabic speakers amongst us.
[/quote]

Yim kin, you missed out the maybe me thinks? Good for you mate. It's probably a bit cooler here, but not much yim kin?