Notaires from differnt department

sclarke2208

Should be no need to get a different one from the one you know and trust.

When I moved in the opposite direction last year, I used one in the Vendee for the sale, whom I trusted, but the purchasers used a different one which slowed things down.

In the Pas de Calais for my purchase, the same one as the vendor was used but that was because there was a gap between my selling and buying. He was excellent, by the way and I have subsequently used him for a couple of other things.

Where things can be slowed down, as I said, is if the vendor and the purchaser have different notaires.

As the signing of the "acte" at completion seems to involve the presence of the seller, the buyer and, possibly, the vendor's estate agent as well, it would be logical to use a notaire near to the place you are purchasing.

The only way to avoid people having to trek 600km north to sign in front of your PdeC notaire would be if they all gave "procuration" to a member of that notaire's staff.

When we moved from Normandy to the Vendee buying a new house off a developer, we didn't know if the vendor's notaire did all the work for the building company. We asked our Normandy notaire who said he'd be happy to act for us. He travelled down for the Acte de Vente and the fees were the same as if we'd used a local notaire.

Thanks for all the replies, but I can't imagine my notaire here in PdC coming all the way down to the Vendee! However, I'm going to be there myself in 10 days time so maybe I'll get to know of a notaire who can be recommended to me as and when I need one.

roseysan

Also need to know of any associations/clubs where English speaking people go for a chat etc If anyone knows please let me know.