Progress of Tomatoes

MedocGreenie

Further to previous tomato news I would like to report that, as with last year, my Brandywine Tomatoes are doing very well, enjoying the mix of powerful sun and maritime showers in the Medoc.

Tigarella less so, and this is the last year I'll allocate space to them. Ditto Shirley and Alicante.

Marmande, the local variety, always does well and along with the Brandywine varietal they're a metre high and vigorous.

Tumbling Tom also doing well, they seem to thrive on being ignored.

anyone else doing well on the Tomato front ?

• 2 weeks later...
My tomatoes are doing fairly well.  I have Roma, cerise, Cornue des Andes and Noire de Crimee.  All are fine at the moment but..as I had blight last year and am organic..even though I rotate my plantings I am a little worried.  Still, only time will tell and it is so pleasant to watch and wait.  I have just turned the last of my strawberries into jam, my courgettes and melons are making a fine start - life is good.  I should love to get my hands on some Tigrella seeds for next year.  They do not seem to be available here, where did you find yours please?

Can't you try propping them up again D-R?

Mine are doing well up to now, about 3 kinds, some large for chutney etc and some small for salads. I'm watching carefully as last year we had blight on the potatoes and the tomatoes are quite near where they were - we have a very small plot.

They are now about 18inches high and sending out very vigorous side shoots. Is it too soon to cut these off and just encourage the central shoot?

My toms are doing brilliantly, those in the polytunnel and outside.

Brandywine doing really well, Marmande, Black Russian, AislaC, Batman, cherry toms.. about 9/10 varieties in total and I now have green toms about the size of a golfball.  So much better than the last couple of years. [:D]  [:D]  [:D]

Though lots of rain and not much sun over the last few days.  Looks like it will pick up later in the week though.

[quote user="Patf"]

They are now about 18inches high and sending out very vigorous side shoots. Is it too soon to cut these off and just encourage the central shoot?

[/quote]

Pinch them out now.... or let them grow on a bit, then pot them into compost and grow another tomato plant.