Courgette advice

mint

I've noticed that all the courgettes which touch the ground seem to turn yellow and rot. The ones that are higher up do fine; they are green with glossy skin and are wonderful to eat.

Is there anything I can use to keep the lower courgettes off the soil?  Is wrapping some plastic round the base of the plants any good?

Suggestions/advice gratefully received.

If you don't have straw handy, you could try little flat stones - seems to work OK with me - I put them all around the bottom of the plant, trying not to touch the central stem, and resting the growing courgette on them. For pumpkins, I use something bigger like a roof tile.

I've never used straw - haven't ready access to it, but it sounds a good idea.

I always surround newly planted out courgettes, tomatoes etc with sharp gravel to discourage slugs and snails. (We have a huge problem - twice daily visits with torch and salt bring in a 80+ catch each time; sorry if some find this cruel, but I do like to eat some of my crops myself!) I later place flat stones around as already mentioned, then when the plants get bigger, I place big stones etc in strategic places to raise the stems up.

Courgettes seem to be doing well in my English garden this year; my son is keeping the plants going by picking and eating them for us while we are in France. Tomatoes seem less good - very few have set on the trusses, although they were already flowering when I set them out in early May. They are outdoors, usually do well.

Jo

I have a single plant in the garden and it only needs water to provide me with a courgette every other day.

Mr Clair doesn't eat green (do they make green Cantal? [8-)]).

I bought a 2kg-net last week and I enjoy eating them, but they sure don't taste as fresh![:)]

Bought courgettes are so watery, compared to the much denser homegrown...I find that with a particular recipe, which involves cooking sliced courgettes with soya sauce and onion/garlic, prior to putting them -after adding an egg- in a half-baked shortcrust pastry for courgette tart. (If you do that, make sure you smear Dijon mustard on top of the half-baked pastry shell - and add just a sprinkling of Gruyere/Emmenthal/Cantal etc. to the courgette + egg filling.

For that recipe, with bought courgettes I have to DRAIN them, even squeeze them before putting them into the pastry case, as they are so full of water. With my homegrown courgettes, no need to even drain them....

Also, the ones you get in shops are sometimes quite ancient and can  taste bitter - there is a world of difference in a bio home-grown courgette and a shop one. None of my homegrown ones has ever been bitter.

Courgette plants seem to give so much - so rewarding when it goes well, which is most of the time!

I have 4 courgette plants (long green ones) and 1 round courgette de Nice. So far, I can use ALL the courgettes I get. I will freeze some too, as well as making courgette tart,  and curried courgettes, ratatouille which I freeze in old margarine tubs.

[quote user="5-element"]ratatouille which I freeze in old margarine tubs.[/quote]

I love ratatouille, but mine are aubergine-free, as I cannot abide aubergine.

Hadn't thought of using marge tubs though! (now noted [:)])

I have very little space to grow anything at the moment, but once I get my mitts on my soon-to-be potager, I will be able to grow a wide variety of courgette plants!

There's nothing unfresh about a Vendéen shop bought cougette.   [:P]

Takes the segments from a juicy orange and remove the skin from the sides. Leave on a plate.

Thinly slice a courgette on a mandolin so that it will easily bend. No bend - too thick.

Thinly slice shallot on the same mandolin. Arrange the courgette slices, shallots and orange segments on a large plate and pour over the juice from the orang. Add some stoned black olives and drizzle with good quality olive oil to taste. Adjust individual quantities to suit your taste.

Really nice on a hot summer's day out in the fresh air.