Last Minute Leek Replacement

Fi

My 5 year old botanist decided to investigate the root system of a growing leek.  Sadly, in order to do this, each plant had to be uprooted, dissected, torn into tiny pieces and then discarded.  Mummy (aka chief botanist) was not impressed, but did remain remarkably calm in the circumstances [6].  She has also been left with 6 rather sad-looking mini leeks with large gaps between them.  There were 2 rows of around 20 each originally.  I am not bitter (but I do have a restorative glass of rose in my hand at the moment).

I love leeks.  They are one of my favourite veggies.  I am a very unhappy bunny.  Can anyone think of something I could plant at this late stage to fill the gaps?  I have seen leek plants (or it could be grass[;-)] ) in the local garden centre - but is it too late?  Or should I uproot the survivors of the attack and plant something else (but  not lettuce - we're not big on lettuce and I already have a cut and come again patch for the occasional salad leaf)? 

We got our first serious snowfall at the end of October last year which could limit the possibilities.  The veg patch is sunny so most things would be quite happy.

Any ideas gratefully received. 

Fi

Hello Fi,

Lucky for me my 6 year old want-to-be-paleontologist is as uninterested in root systems as can be - I think I would be on something stonger than wine had he broken into my veggie patch though! Don't worry about the leeks. I have mine getting bigger in the seed bed now and intend to transplant them late July/early August, when I have dug up the mature onions an garlic and can put them in their place. I have always done it this way, but know that in local markets they still sell the small leek plants for transplanting up to this date. Just make sure they are well-watered and you put them in nice holes, to fill with water, and they should be OK. Snow and cold shouldn't affect them when they are established - mine have lived and thrived through -10 with no problems here, although digging them up is hard work in the frost!

Jane

PS - If you are anywhere near 46 (sorry didn't check your area before writing reply) then you are welcome to some of mine - I always sow a whole packet so will probably have a good few to spare.

I also love leeks. Don't worry just plant some more. I am enjoying some leeks that are now 2 years old and still in the ground. My present worry is the red spuds which have done so well this year. They were planted in february and are now the size of a double fist. I want to leave them in the ground but should I cut of the foliage or will they keep growing?

Many thanks for the info.  I'll just have to go and get some more plants (such hardship) - at least Mr "what do you need all these plants for anyway" Grumpypants is away this weekend so I won't have to go into stealth plant acquisition mode.

Enjoy the sunshine

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]I was very restrained.  I only bought the leek plantlets (50 for 3 euros).  I'm quite proud of my rectitude [Www]
[/quote]

Remember both blood  and bone are very good fertilizers if you want to choose a site for the retribution[:D]

I am now feeling very very guilty.  I have (I think) been slandering the junior son and heir in a public forum.   [:$]

I went outside this morning to inspect the estate (ok, veg patch) and discovered 6 new leek plants neatly uprooted and lying on the ground.  Went to replant them (with the aid of a big wooden spoon handle) and discovered an airspace about 20 cm down.  I think, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, that maybe Mr Mole has taken exception to leek roots in his roof and has been removing them. 

Assuming it is Mr Mole, is their a kind way to get him to move house?  I am a trifle fed up with replanting those poor beleaguered leeks, but I don't want to resort to murder either.  Someone has to eat the leatherjackets!

If in fact it is son and heir after all, Ron's idea appeals .......

Fi

Have you watered them in?  With leeks you should make a big hole with a dibber about 3-4 inches deep and 2"wide, place the leek in it and then dribble some water into the hole, and then repeat over successive days until the hole is full up with earth washed in, rain can also do this for you.  Its more likely birds or baby rabbits pulling the leeks out than a mole pushing them up, you would see if there was a mole run under the plants.

I had the same last year with my leeks. It's at that point that I staged war against the moles. Before I had been trying various methods unsuccessfully to disuade them from various areas in the garden. I now don't have any on my lawns nor potager. I do get the occasional one venturing on to my land but they don't last too long. It may sound cruel, but things can get bad with moles.

[quote user="Rodders"]I had the same last year with my leeks. It's at that point that I staged war against the moles. Before I had been trying various methods unsuccessfully to disuade them from various areas in the garden. I now don't have any on my lawns nor potager. I do get the occasional one venturing on to my land but they don't last too long. It may sound cruel, but things can get bad with moles.[/quote]

How did you do this - they have now uprooted half my salad leaf patch - grrrrrr.  If the method used is likely to result in your being castigated from all angles, please do pm me!  I'd love to hear how you did it.  My (elderly) neighbour suggested jumping up and down on the molehills, but I think this could be a joke at my expense!

Fi

Received wisdom is that electronic scarers don't work, windmills don't work, but smelly things put into their run do.

Suggestions are:

fresh dog poo - not tried it

moth balls - not tried it

calcium carbide - it works for me, but you are going to have difficulty finding the calcium carbide I think - unless you want a 50kg drum!

At least the concept has some merit becasue moles have poor eyesight, they will rely more heavily on other senses like smell, and anything that can overpower that will be unwelcome and cause them to move on.

Alternative is a detauper* from your friendly garden centre - provided you like declaring WW III in your garden and don't mind junior coming in with bits of diembowelled mole he found in the garden.

* small explosive charge that is set in the mole run.  Mole disturbs trigger, charge goes off, mole ends up in a number of small pieces.  And in case you think that these are no more than a firework, they are legally being used by French speleos for blowing up large rocks as part of cave exploration.