Water restrictions

chocccie

When watering restrictions are in place (ie, no watering gardens, washing cars, etc before 7pm or after 9am, for instance) .... I assumed this refered only to using water from taps ... and that using water pumped from wells or waterbutts was not included in the restrictions .... can anybody confirm if my assumption is correct?

Many thanks

[quote user="Jonzjob"]The best thing you can do is ask at your Mairie, but I think that you will find that water is water no matter where it comes from.[/quote]

No it isn't.

You always need to check the directive that applies to your commune, which you can find out from your Mairie.

Restrictions often only apply to tap water, and to specific uses such as watering ornamental gardens, washing cars and filling and topping-up swimming pools.

I was informed that water taken from your well lowers the local water table, no matter how little you use, and therefore was covered by the restrictions in force, as in effect the water comes from "the same place". You can see the current restrictions online as posted in the link above. The exception to this rule being where your ONLY source of water is from your well. So, just to be clear, if you are connected to the local water supply you must obey the restrictions in force. In the 5 years we've been here the restrictions have not forbidden watering of vegetables, but have forbidden car washing etc.

Sid