Fencing

Richard

Hi all,

Anyone know of a fencing supplier in the Hesdin area? I have approx 40 mtrs width garden which needs secure dog-proof fencing around 1 mte high, but with  a gate so us humans can get through.

I'm thing about picket fencing, rather than the green wire stuff that everyone seems to use.

Any ideas?

Richard

Hi Richard, I am in the process of doing exactly the same. I believe that Castorama or Le Roy Merlin do the sort of fencing you are after. Not sure which are your nearest.

Just out of interest I have been told that I have to put my fence up one metre from (inside) my boundary. This does not make sense as I will lose that amount of land to my neighbour or alternatively there will be two metres of no mans land.

Ever heard of this?

Carole

[quote user="Carole"] Just out of interest I have been told that I have to put my fence up one metre from (inside) my boundary. This does not make sense as I will lose that amount of land to my neighbour or alternatively there will be two metres of no mans land. Ever heard of this? Carole[/quote]

I've seen this "no man's land" thing a LOT.  I never realised it was a legal thing - I assumed people did it so they would have somewhere to store all of their tutt (junk) out of their sight.

Hi Toodlepips

Thanks for the reply.

This one metre thing just doesn't make sense as that would put my neighbours boundary in my driveway!!!! Mind you it would mean that I could sling all my tutt over the fence, would save a dechetterie trip - I like it!! I will have to look into it further re the legality as although I dont want anymore land (am getting a bit beyond all the digging) I certainly don't want it taken away in a land grab!!

Carole

Hello

The 1 metre thing is about hedges and trees I think, not an expert but I know that you can't plant trees over a certain size within 1 metre of the boundary.  You are also not supposed to put shed's or the like less than 1 metre form the boundary, fences though are on the boundary AFAIK, in my old house the whole place was fully enclosed and the fences were all erected right on the boundary.

Someone more knowledgeable will post soon I'm sure.

Panda

The 1 metre thing is about hedges and trees I think, not an expert but I know that you can't plant trees over a certain size within 1 metre of the boundary.............

................... fences though are on the boundary AFAIK, in my old house the whole place was fully enclosed and the fences were all erected right on the boundary.

Yes Panda you are right

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to errect a fence along the boundry of my property which runs along the road, i had hoped to get as close to the road as possible.

question is, is there any restrictions saying i have to leave a verge between the fence and road?

also do you need planning or such like to errect a fence or install gate colums / gates etc?

I do not know about the distance required between fence and road. I did however apply to the Marie for permission to erect the fence and gate.

They were very fussy and needed plans, exact measurements, photographs of the area and proposed type of fencing etc etc etc. It took me three goes but I think that this was red tape gone mad. It wasn't a painful procedure, just frustrating. Many people said I would get away with not making any application!!

Have fun!

I feel they must be a bit more laid back round my way.  I wanted to put up a fence and gate so asked the Marie who said (and I quote) 'Its your land, do what you want'  but then did qualify that statement that I must seek permission for 'major work' so to be on the safe side, and out of curtesy, I ask if it's something that could possibly 'offend' like a large patio - no prob and a shed much bigger than 2 sq metres. 'Where will you put it?' 'Down the end of the garden'  'Pah!, just do it'. Nice man our Marie!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Pierre we have had excellent help from our Mairie.

We need to secure our boundary to make it dog-proof - no worries.   Imagine 200 fence posts, cross rails and mesh   [:'(]

The planned porch / dog's bedroom?  No trouble.

The only thing we have to make doubly-sure of is the barn rebuild, ie. re-converting a mountain of rocks and rubble into a building again.   Apart from the mairie querying "Was there a barn there?" when they must have passed it every day for nigh on a 80 years before it blew down, then needing confirmation from the prefecture as to its previous existence, well so far its been relatively painless.

• 1 year later...
[quote user="caramac"]Any tree or hedging plant with a mature height of 2 metres or more must be minimum 2 metres from boundary.   Smaller shrubs can be min 50 cm. Fence on boundary is fine - make sure you know exactly where it is and/or agree with voisin(e).

[/quote]

Does this 50cm refer to the distance to the 'stem' of the schrub, or the possible outermost branch once mature?

Many thanks.