When To Dig Your Spuds?

Grecian

Having not grown potatoes in England for a few years, I am a bit rusty how you look after them. I always thought the main crop potatoes were dug up in September, (that is what my gardening book says anyway), if you want to store them. I was informed by my French neighbour that the French dig their potatoes now, and put them in their caves for storage. So to all you ex-pat spud growers out there when do you dig yours? Now or September?

Also I think I have read somewhere that you sprinkle a magic power on the potatoes, to stop them sprouting, can anybody tell me what this powder is called please.

Now it is back to the garden to do battle with all those pesky mauvaises herbes.

Hello plod, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the greenery has has died back, and yes I have way overestimated the amount of seed potatoes I planted, so storage will be an issue. I didn't realise we are already into August now, so I suppose digging a month earlier than I would have in the UK would not be unusual, as we now live some 350 miles further south than we were in the UK, the last time I grew potatoes.

If anyone has any tips on storage, I would be most interested to hear them.

We are digging ours now and store them in the barn in open wooden trays, the sort you can get for free from open air food markets when trading has finished, with a sheet of newspaper on top to keep the light out. Our cave is just too damp! Never needed to use the powder. They keep ok like this and nothing has tried to eat them so far. Still good in Feb. One thing though and that is if it really freezes hard and you have stored them in a barn or other outside place you can lose the lot as they will turn to mush!............................................JR

I have dug mine on the advice of our neighbour who said "c'est normal" for the foliage to die down in July - I panicked and thought we had blight as it seemed a bit early. The Charlottes are lovely but the others (cant remember what) look fine outside but have black holes in the centre. No insects as far as I can see, and skins look fine, so dont know which will store. Anyone out there know what it might be? It's only our second year, so we're a bit amateur! Any advice welcomed.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Anyone out there know what it might be?

[/quote]

Interesting........... From the Idaho

Center for Potato Research and Education (Yes. Really!!!!!)

"
You

may occasionally cut a potato open to find a dark-colored

hole, most often near the center. This hole is a naturally

occurring physiological disorder called "hollow heart" caused

by environmental stresses such as cold and wet soil conditions

occurring in the field while the potatoes were growing. If

all you are concerned about is a hole in the potato, there

is absolutely nothing wrong with the potato and it is definitely

safe to eat."

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/potato/FAQ.htm