Approx when to take geraniums in?

Anna

I live near Riberac and have to go back to Scotland this year from the 15th September until the 21st October. I've successfully overwintered my Geraniums for a number of years now. My question is would I need to take Geraniums in before I leave?

Hi Anna,

Not too far from you, and the first frost is usually the first week in November for us. So at a guess if they are at least sheltered etc you may get away with it!

I've failed miserably to overwinter geraniums- any tips on how you do it?

Thanks for your replies. Think I'll chance it then and leave them out till I get back. I've found that I can overwinter my Geraniums in one of our gîtes, which has quite a lot of light and is frost free. You could put in an electric radiator set on a frost free setting to go on overnight. I cover the floor tiles with thickish polythene to keep them clean. I bring the patio tables inside and cover them also with polythene to keep them clean. Then I bring in all my pots and hanging baskets (which have a mixture of geraniums and begonias). I water very occasionally and the plants do go leggy and also I get a lot of brown dead leaves also. However, come early Spring, when I can put them outside, I tidy them up and they recover wonderfully. Also, re cuttings, I find that you can just snap off some longish bits and simply pop them into a pot of universal, cheapy compost, firm well around the cutting and you will be amazed that in a couple of weeks, how well they will grow. Then make sure to water well and feed often I just use the cheapest universal or tomato feed, whichever is cheapest (yes, I am a Scot lol !!) et voila! I haven't bought geraniums or begonias now for at least the last 6 years.