Deer!

fairyflowers

They are b*****s! In the spring they ate all the new buds off my roses.

A neighbour has put up an electric fence to keep them off. My hairdresser said cuttings of human hair around the plants will deter them. Not sure if this works though.

Our veg. patch has a proper fence around it anyway, as we have free-range hens.

My 90 year old neighbour had trouble with the deer eating his vines I made him lots of windmills out of used plastic water bottles they have shiny bits on the arms and they also click.

Along with plastic tape that stretched between two sticks 'thrrrrwwwws' in a light wind the deer have kept a distance.

Since we are on the edge of the New Forest we have a real problem with deer too.

They even eat flower heads, and are careless too - even knocking a window box off the wall.   They come into my garden at night, and once at dawn I have had to chase out 4 of them.  And we are fenced, hedged and gated.

Here they are not at all scared of people as they probably are in France.   The chasse there certainly makes deer much more timid than the brazen ones around here!

I got some Lion 'wee' pellets from the garden centre- they're supposed to help keep cats out too. 

Have you thought of a caterpult ?  Here you can get a really strong one from fishing tackle shops.  I'm quite accurate on it these days.

Tegwini

The first time we saw deer in our garden, a week after moving in, we called the children to see them and told them to be quiet so as not to scare them off.....a week later we realised the error of our ways!

Whatever barriers and deterrents we've tried they still get in. So after many years of frustration we've given up trying to keep them out and now stick to plants recommended as deer resistant - the Royal Horticultural Society has a list here   They aren't all guaranteed but at least we've had some flowers this summer.