Chainsaw clothing, Lower Normandy

melmoth

Hi,

I have a choice of buying chainsaw trousers, helmet, gloeves

etc. in the UK or in France (I have a Husqvarna dealer near me in

France. Does anyone know if these itens are more expensive in France

generally - the UK a Husqvrna helmet is £34 and trousers are approc £80.

ny thoughts welcome

Brendan

There are many horrific accidents every year Edward, and anyone who doesn't wear protective clothing is just plain daft in my book.

There's all sorts of gear available in France from outlets such as Gamm Vert, but I have no idea re price comparisons - sorry.

Stan, totally agree - I've just bought a pro chainsaw and am not going to skimp on the protective gear - the sheer weight and the power of the thing is awesome and I know in a kickback situation I'd be totally unable to control it - good gear might give me those all important milli-seconds to get my act together. The only thing is the jacket - I might use my tough leather motor bike jacket rather than spend approx £150 on a chainsaw one - it seems the least useful chainsaw clothing - I see you didn't mention it in your list. Also  do the chainsaw gloves allow sensitive operation of the machine? Also what sort of boots did you buy?

cheers

Brendan

These people ship to France and have been pretty efficient when we've used them. Their website should give you a place to start for comparing prices.

http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/Chainsaw_Clothing_C763.aspx

My local Stihl dealer sent me a brochure the other day with his prices in but typically I can't find it right now.  Hopefully I'll turn it up soon. He is 5ks from the Normandy border.

Edit : Here's a French site which might help:

http://www.needgarden.fr/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?code_lg=lg_fr&type=66

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]What are "chainsaw trousers"? And "helmet, gloves, etc?" Are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up![/quote]

Chainsaw trousers have a kevlar lining to help prevent accidents if the saw slips or bounces off the wood. The helmet has an eye shield and ear protectors, and the gloves are large gauntlet style Our son was a tree surgeon and told us some horror stories of mistakes that people had made when using chainsaws. Anyone who thinks they don't need to wear protective gear when using one of these leathal machines is an idiot, so I applaude the OP for his sensible attitude.

I've never worn any special clothing when using a chainsaw, and the grimpeur and elageur who took down several large trees for me didn't wear any either. I'm sceptical about what kind of clothing would protect you from a chainsaw going full blast, and I think it probable that you would be more likely to make an arror when padded, gloved, earmuffed and goggled. Of course chainsaw companies will sell you lots of "protective" clothing. I am sure that in the UK the Health & Safety people will soon turn their attention to chainsaws, and you will be able to use them only having undergone a month's training and be accompanied by two paramedics. Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first drive mad.

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]I've never worn any special clothing when using a chainsaw, and the grimpeur and elageur who took down several large trees for me didn't wear any either.

Well more fool them is all that I can say.

I'm sceptical about what kind of clothing would protect you from a chainsaw going full blast,

The whole point of the kevlar is that it does stop the chain from ripping into your leg

and I think it probable that you would be more likely to make an arror when padded, gloved, earmuffed and goggled.

The gloves are padded to help absorb the vibration, the ear protectors do what they say - protect your hearing - and the shield attached to the helmet protects your eyes. When you are working all day with chainsaws you are glad of the help they all give.

Of course chainsaw companies will sell you lots of "protective" clothing.

But they don't make you buy them. You do that yourself if you have any sense.

I am sure that in the UK the Health & Safety people will soon turn their attention to chainsaws, and you will be able to use them only having undergone a month's training and be accompanied by two paramedics. Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first drive mad.[/quote]

Well, I'm sure you know best

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]I've never worn any special clothing when using a chainsaw, and the grimpeur and elageur who took down several large trees for me didn't wear any either. I'm sceptical about what kind of clothing would protect you from a chainsaw going full blast, and I think it probable that you would be more likely to make an arror when padded, gloved, earmuffed and goggled. Of course chainsaw companies will sell you lots of "protective" clothing. I am sure that in the UK the Health & Safety people will soon turn their attention to chainsaws, and you will be able to use them only having undergone a month's training and be accompanied by two paramedics. Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first drive mad.[/quote]

Well, you cannot say you haven't considered it. I really sincerely hope you never have reason to regret your choice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3534320.stm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article607350.ece

http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/eastbourne-news/Freak-chainsaw-accident-killed-tree.5719485.jp

Clair, I haven't looked up the links you provided, but I assume they are horror stories of people mutilating themselves with chainsaws. I know how to use an chainsaw and I use it carefully - and with, I can assure you, a high regard for my own safety. I believe this to be a better reproach than reliance on body armour. There are people who should never be allowed near a chainsaw, just as there are people who should never be allowed a driving licence. My original post was tongue-in-cheek; if other people want to arm themselves to the teeth before cutting up logs they are entitled to do so, but other posters have characterized me as some sort of mindless idiot. There is a man who lives a few streets away from me whose hobby is climbing skyscrapers without ropes, helmets, or any safety equipment. (there was a programme about him recently on the BBC). Half the world tut-tuts at him and wants him locked away, the other half applauds his nerve. I am among the latter. And I doubt if he has keflar trousers.

No-one I believe, is saying that one should RELY on body armour. What they are saying is that with thye world's most powerful and potentially lethal hand held machine it would be foolish not to use all safeguards possible. One of the major sources of chainsaw injury is "kickback" - the reasons for kickback are various and it is not possible to completely guard against all of them. A millisecond of grace given by chainsaw trousers might well be enough time for the saw to slow down sufficiently to avoid bad or fatal injury. Of course one needn't wear protective clothing in the same way one needn't wear a seatbelt when driving or a helmet on a motor bike - but in all these cases the most experienced user is increasing the risk of injury in a sudden, unseen situation.