Gardener's World

David_Janet

Anyone see the first of the new series last night?  I thought it was supposed to have been re-vamped so as to claw back disenchanted viewers?  OK, they came out with a few more facts about each topic, but did we really have to be shown how to push a sweet pea seed into damp compost over and over again?  I think we got the drift!

I still can't stand condescending Toby - they just need to get rid of him and replace him with someone who doesn't patronise.

I decided to give this series one chance and I'm afraid they've blown it - I shan't be watching again until they announce a new presenter.

Happy gardening to all

Janet

I saw the last few minutes - and agree with you about the sweet peas.!

They won't get a suitable replacement for Monty Don. We've been watching his 2 other new series which were both good, in different ways.

I watched it too, just to see if it had improved after the last series.  Generating lots of discussion on the Uk gardening fora and the concensus seems to be that it's a sort of gardening 101, ok for new gardeners but there's nothing for any experienced gardeners around now.

And as for standing out in falling snow talking about snowdrops, well each to their own but seems like a seriously minority sport that one, like the garden gnome guy in the last series.

Carol Klein and Monty Don or the guy from Harlow Carr Gardens for me, Alys is as patronising as Toby, yes I do know know to grow tomatoes (he should have mentioned that thre seeds are F1s which would mean something to some of us who don't want to use F1s) from seed and how to sow sweet peas - interesting that she didn't mention nicking the cases or soaking them first so ease germination, still, bit advanced that I suppose.

I'll give it a whirl on Friday but if it's not a bit more grown up, that's me out too.

I missed it on Friday, will try to catch it this week; I thought the new guy was to be dropped and things put back to normal, but I obviously got that wrong! I stopped watching it regularly after Monty Don's stint; he and Geoff Hamilton were the bee's knees for me. I hate being patronised, which many presenters do. There must be features for people new to gardening, but that's what they should be - parts of a wider-ranging programme.

Never really been the same since Alan Tichmarsh (maybe dodgey spelling) left to be honest as he was Gardeners world and used to love the the different parts of his garden. What I find really boring is when they go off to someone elses garden like the 'I Collect' snow drops' bloke! Yes they maybe nice but 160 different ones. get a life, Oh sorry snowdrops is his life.

Give it to Joe swift I like him or bombared Alan with e-mails to bring back the real gardeners world.

It's not so much that Gardeners World is only for beginners now, but that when they try something more imaginative they so often get it wrong! My son, who is a professional horticulturalist, is regularly reduced to fury by the mistakes they make.

He has reason to be upset, because people then turn up at his nursery and say they want to plant this plant in that position because 'that's what they said on Gardeners World'!  For an example, he and I watched the presenters being filmed buying an Arisaema on a stand at Malvern Show one year, only to see them plant it in full sun and the wrong soil in the programme the following week.

Good nurseries offer a guarantee on their plants, but it all depends on the plant being treated properly: when GW gets it wrong, it is the trade that has to bear the brunt in terms of selling plants knowing that they will be wrongly planted, and that when they die the nursery will get the blame, if not the demand for a replacement plant or a refund!