Asparagus arrives!

Dog

Dog, if they're the white ones, I don't really like them.  Only like the green ones.

BTW, do you know whether you can plant long-stemmed broccoli in France?  Excuse me, but I do mean the ones that Tesco sells in bunches?[:$]

Just got back from the market. There was one stall with a small box of very local thin green asparagus, and a couple of bundles of white from the next village along, from a very sunny slope. I didn't buy any as we're out for lunch and supper, but I'm planning on doing so at the weekend or next week; they're very local growers, and to be trusted; there are a few of the stalls there at weekends that I wouldn't be as sure about.

Off topic to eggs; the egg man was there. He'd had problems with the hens in the unexpected snow a couple of weeks ago; I can look around anytime I'm passing, as I'm so interested in them being organic.  

There is some white French asparagus (which I don't care for) in my shops now and Spanish Green stuff.  I tried it but unfortunately it was rather tasteles.

I do love the proper asparagus in the proper season, I like it raw or with a little olive oil and tossed on the BBQ for a miute or two.  Steaming is OK but I think it takes something away.

It's a good job the season is short as I don't have the asparagus gene which means my wee smells something awful [+o(]

We have two huge beds of the green stuff here in the Vendee and from garden to pot it is seconds. However and on my travels I lived once near Evesham and indeed went to many charity auctions at the Fleece at Bretforton. There is nothing bar nothing to compare with Evesham asparagus.