Fruit trees for 16/24 borders, Pomegranite, ?

just john

I'd kill for one of those.  I haven't one myself but I have seen some beauties when out walking with the randos.  So, it must be possible to have one.

Dog knows about this tree and, if he sees your post, he might come here and tell you about it.

I don't have a pomegranite tree but I don't kneed one all my neighbours have them and don't like the fruit so I get plenty!

Peaches and kiwi fruit grow well here too. Go for it - pomegranites are a fruit of great antiquity and mystery....

We have a mango doing quite well from a stone and figs are doing well - the only lemon trees I have seen locally are in conservatories though I have seen some a bit further south - perhaps it's the soil?

We have a pomegranite here in the Vendee in a pot and it is growing well but so far no flowers perhaps because we are a bit far north?

As to soil conditions on our various moves I always (I think the cost is £20) have the soil tested by the Lab at York and then you know what you are dealing with.

Sometimes Gamme Vert and the like have open days when you can get your soil tested.

A general comment but here in the Vendee and near Foussais they grown apples and pears by the millions.

I will search through my files but Google will help there is a leading grower of all forms of fruit trees called Eric Dumont or something like that. His catalogue gives you all possible advice. He also growns fruit trees in 'U' forms double 'U' forms espaliers and lots and lots more. So if you have a nice retaining wall south or south west facing you really could have a lot of fun. He supplied a five year old peach tree to us and last year we were literally giving them away.

Pomegranite that sounds great, I would love to have one of them. Citrus plants need ericaeous soil. In England you can buy a little soil testing kit for about a £1 not sure if they do them in the garden centres over here. I keep mine in pots as they do not like temperatures below -5 and the Kaffir lime

-4. I keep them in a cold greenhouse over winter, but I expect you can cover them with layers of fleece.

jxx