What to do with 300+ Molehills?

Tzio77

Just returned to our French house after 5 months and found in excess of 300 molehills.... where there are a number in excess of 25cm high..

My question is do I barrow all the soil away, or do I rake it over the garden from whence it came?

Then the war will begin...

Many thanks

According to my neighbour (Georges who knows everything) you rake them.  I had loads this spring (they emerged from the snow in a truly irritating manner) - the soil is really good so I used some to fill in the gaps in the veg patch, and the rest I raked.  4 weeks (and some rain) later, there are just a few patches of soil in the grass, which are rapidly disappearing.  Trouble is, there are now a few more molehills ...... may have to adopt a more laisser-faire attitude towards these ones[:)]

A friend in the Dordogne, tried everything without success until he bought a mole trap, which then had to be inserted in the latest 'hill', moving it around each time a new hill appeared, eventually he caught the mole, who is no more, and no more mole hills either![:)]

The garden is a little over an acre, but most of the molehills are adjacent to open fields, and some are very large, and are something like 75cm square, but then they have had the garden to themselves since mid December, only about 100 to go lol.

We have turned all our molehill soil into raised beds. Its filled them up really well, But it seems as though as soon as we get a second raised bed about half full the amount of hills has really gone down over this winter. Its a bit strange but suppose musn't grumble as they are a pain to keep getting up everyday.