NASTY BITE/STING

hakunamatata

I have a large red sore on my hand which resembles a nasty burn, is very hot and now after a week is turning dry but still very red and tender. There appears to be a little "entry" wound at one edge of the wound which could indicate a bite, but a bite from what! I was pulling some long grass for the chickens on the day it appeared. As we sat down for dinner that evening this alien grew redder and redder virtually in front of my eyes! Does anyone have any idea what it may be?

How is the bite/sting now? Without wishing to alarm you, can you be sure that it's not a tic bite? Suggest you look at images of tic bites which can carry lyme disease on Google.

It's probably not that - but better safe than sorry!

Thanks Minnie but I have had a look on the internet and its not a tic. It has now formed a scab.crust which is slowly peeling off to reveal new skin which will probably never tan and therefore look like a scar. I have used witch hazel which seems to have helped but its been very nasty! Just wish I knew what it was in order to avoid it in future.

Hi

I wonder if you had a reaction to the rue plant?  This happened to my daughter a few years ago and I found what it was thanks to this Forum (the local doctor did not know what it could be).  Ever since, she avoids this common plant like the devil.  If touched during the day, the plant can cause phytophotodermatitis in some people. If you are allergic, the skin goes red, then blisters, and then becomes deeply pigmented as if scarred or burned.  This goes away after some time, luckily. 

DZ that it really interesting, I know the plant you mean and although I cannot see it in the area where I was working it does grow wild around here so it is entirely possible that I have brushed past it somewhere! The wound did originally look like a nasty burn and was hot and sore, it has now formed a scab and there is pink new skin underneath. I am not normally allergic to anything but I will rue the day I found this plant !!!

That is also interesting because there is a lot about and plenty of bits in the garden, some I leave, some I pull up! Let it be a warning to others, its a very nasty experience. Thank you for your info

If anyone is interested here is a link to a scarey report about euphorbia

http://www.theamateursdigest.com/epoisons.htm