"House Hunt in France" on ITV1, Tuesday 30th at 3pm English time, 4pm France time

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="AnOther"]Not really, just another 'place in the sun' superficial fantasy whitewash IMO.

Didn't notice when it was made, does it really matter ?

[/quote]

Was curious to know if,  the house prices were current!

I watched it.  It was slow moving and so it was just as well that I was sewing at the same time.  It wasn't fast moving enough to sit and watch without having something else to do.  The potential buyers only looked over three houses so I reckon that it could have been edited into a 30 minute programme.

It was interesting that there wasn't a presenter, just a voice over.

I agree Kitty, though I was knitting..

It all seems to be set in some fantasy land, where every house gains hugely in value and there are never any problems to spoil the sunflowers and wine. Any French person (and there don't seem to be many of them) seems to have a walk on part as a stereotype friendly local. I especially liked the comment from the lady who said they had been told buying a house in France was difficult, but they had the keys and there were no problems at all...

I also watched part of it while taking up a pair of trousers - I agree I couldn't have watched it without another occupation. It was all very pretty, as many of these programmes are. I enjoyed the disabled lottery winner's part of the programme - and the mayor even opened the celebratory bottle of wine!

I don't know... but I only saw about 15 minutes of it. I giggled inanely and gibbered slightly as the voiceover said that three-storey townhouse could be restored for £40k, roof an' all. The £100k for the barn was more realistic.

I don't think it'll be on my "must watch" list. Though, nowadays, not much is.

[quote user="Catalpa"]I don't think it'll be on my "must watch" list. Though, nowadays, not much is.
[/quote]I watched Sons of Anarchy from the wee hours of this morning while it was on.  Now that's "must watch" for me.

Good to see, Catalpa, that these programmes are as on the ball as ever they were on the subject of renovation costs.

I have wondered about Sons of Anarchy. [geek] But I'm not even managing to watch the original version of The Killing which is going out on consecutive nights Sunday thru Thursday for several weeks. That series is very highly regarded... I am taping it but I doubt I'll get around to sitting down and watching 15 hours of sub-titled tv. Well, short of having a Cooperlola-style run of luck, that is...!  [;-)]

ETA:

The Good Wife was a must watch... but the second series was good but not up to the originality and excellence of the first.

Still... we should be talking House Hunt... the fashion sense of the "blonde" estate agent showed she'd successfully gone native. [6]

Thanks to John's thread I just caught it on +1 [:)].

It appears to me that estate agents in the SW from different areas pulled together and put on a commercial or infomercial to lure British buyers back into the market. The date at the end of the credits does show 2011 so it appears to be current. I say good on them for getting it put on but I would suspect it won't help too much with the state of the pound.

In regards to the single man, shame, in five years time he will look a lot older and of course a lot poorer. Silly man should have gone for the renovated one for an easy life. [:D]

[quote user="WJT"] estate agents in the SW from different areas pulled together and put on a commercial   [:D][/quote]

You guessed!; I have seen the Town house, which is every bit as lovely 'in the stone', and he won't have far to go to the hotel and restaurant across the road!

[quote user="Catalpa"]I am taping it but I doubt I'll get around to sitting down and watching 15 hours of sub-titled tv. Well, short of having a Cooperlola-style run of luck, that is...!  [;-)][/quote]It's not subtitled, it's all in English and excellent [;-)]

It was filmed a few months back, they were appealing for drones err people to film.  It's based round the Dordogne and Charente borders.

That woman's patronizing commentary was bad but Jesus, someone should stab that accordion's bellows.  40 minutes of stereotypical screeching sounding like someone harvesting methane from a cattery.

Still, I'll watch it, I'll watch anything me, especially when my town's on it[:P]