wisteria turning yellow

nick16

We planted a wisteria in June and it has grown about 15 feet since that time. However the leaves turned yellow after a few weeks, although they did stay on. I did seek the advice of the nursery where I bought it, and they sold me a bottle of granules that were to be mixed with water, and applied every week. Unfortumately I no longer have the bottle, so can't give the name of it, bit it did no good at all.

Can anyone help please? We are currently back in the UK, so cannot do anything until February.

I'm not an expert on wisteria, but I'd normally guess potassium and or phosphate could help. Mature wisteria don't need nitrogen, as they can fix nitrogen through root nodules, but if your soil was short of nitrogen to start with when you planted in June, that could also be an answer.

I'd suggest a soil-testing kit might be of help when you visit next time.

It is planted in open ground. I should have stated originally that there is a quite a high level of calcaire in the ground.

When I planted it, I was told to water it well on the first day, and then leave it for 3 weeks. After that it was watered every 5/7 days, as we did have a very dry summer.

Thanks for your input.

Hmmm, well we have one that's potted and another in open ground.

The latter obviously needs less water, but I can't remember when it was planted.  Almost certainly early Summer. Oh and it's very calcerous around here too, so that's not the problem.

Give up. As you know, it's deciduous, so when you're there in the Spring, prune it back (2nd bud from the main stem) and you'll see whether it's still alive. I wouldn't bother with all these powders and things: it's either going to thrive or flake out. 

I thought it was lack of chlorophyll, and needing iron filings in the soil (it worked with the kiwi plants, which had had very pale green /almost yellow leaves). Next year I am trying it with the wisteria. The soil here is also very calcaire, and poor (used to be vineyard soil)