KAKI TREE

hakunamatata

I love to see them, with such lovely bright fruit, just like beautiful unfussy Christmas decorations. They are in gardens around our area when we've been out and about, and have been a good substitute for the now-finished lovely autumn vine colours. I understand they come in different varieties and yes, they are from the persimmon family.

The best I can suggest is to try a good garden centre near you, or maybe ask a nearby keen gardener who has one. I'm always surprised to see them just left there, eventually dropping. They were on sale in our local market last week, with slices being offered around; most people, French and mostly local, didn't know what they were at all.

I'd expected them to be similar to the orange family inside, but was surprised the first time I saw one cut that it looked more like apple flesh. 

I've seen them but never knew what they were called before, so I was pleasantly surprised to see they grow well in Mallorca where I shall be spending Christmas and the first few months of 2011.

If you read the description here the fruits have many medicinal qualities including, bizarrely, the ability to both upset your stomach if you over indulge on the fruit, and to cure you at the same time.

I don't suppose they would survive in Mayenne. 

We're not sure. It was here when we came 6 years ago and I can see it on an aerial photo taken about 10 years ago. The trunk appears to be no fatter now than it was when we arrived. It's had a few problems; the fruit is heavy and several branches have broken under the weight. It could do with a little pruning and shaping again. The fruit has gone now so I should do it soon!

Perhaps there are different varieties? Ours don't go red, they are yellow at the end of November and gradually become more golden, but that's as far as they get because by then the frosts are upon us and the fruit is soon spoiled.

My neighbour loves them so we let him have them!

[quote user="hakunamatata"]I am in the South, near Narbonne, where can I buy a Kaki Tree? It is a type of Persimmon I believe and looks fantastic after the leaves have fallen with its big orange fruits hanging on bare branches. I have just got to have one!!![/quote]

You can come and pick the fruit from my tree any day - loads of it..... and it isn't half a nuisance when  fruit falls to the ground!!!

Sometimes you will see Kaki's small and always will be , the better kaki's are large fruits which means that the kaki was grafted to a host perhaps an apple tree.

So do be aware when buying and go for the quality grafted tree....look for the notch that has taken the graft.

Our hens adore kaki!!!!!!!!