What to plant now?

cooperlola

I have a Jardiland voucher which I need to use within the next fortnight.  I want to buy a few plants with it as I have all the kit I want but wonder what it's really a good idea to plant at this time of year - nothing obvious to me springs to mind but then I'm not much of a gardener - I just about run to bulbs and shrubs in the autumn and frost-sensitive plants in spring and there my knowledge base ends!

Buy whatever takes your fancy, whatever you buy would probably survive if it was left in its pot in a garden centre and it will probably be happy at home with you in the same pot for quite a while (as long as you don't let it dry out)

The soil here is still a bit cold and wet for planting but as you are further south you may be Ok

[quote user="woolybanana"]buy them with your voucher so you dont lose it and keep them in their containers, in a frost free place and plant them out when the sun warms yer face![/quote]That's a no-no, I'm afraid.  It has to be something which the gardener can bung in - he comes once a fortnight - and which doesn't need looking after in the interim.  I can't ask my o/h to tend the garden on top of everything else as the lorry driver's insurance pays for a gardener to give him time to do the stuff which I can't so it would be a bit of a liberty.

I like Camelias - that sounds like a good idea.  I have no problems with lime haters (Acers and Azelias do well) so I guess it must be fairly acid.

Camelias are lovely, but I'd be tempted to look at small acers too, OK no flowers but some have very attractive leaves and good foliage is always a worthwhile addition to the garden

If you do go for a Camelia make sure it doesn't catch the morning sun

They may have summer bulbs in stock too, Lily's, Gladioli etc