Unobtrusive fencing

Renaud

What about that green plastic sort of chain link stuff? Goes up quickly, it's cheap, doesn't stand out because of the colour and can look quite smart. We had to fence our perimeter to keep our dog in and (mainly) the local dog population out as they had been accustomed to using the garden as their own personal latrine for many years. The finished fence looks not bad at all and fits in pretty well as many of our French neighbours use it.

For kids - how about a high powered version of electric doggie fence?[6]

Seriously though, I think that stock fence and wooden posts is less obtrusive in a rural setting than that green plastic stuff and blends better than you would think.  I am looking out across my little paddock which is fenced with this and the view is barely interupted at all even though mine has wooden rails also as it's designed to keep the ponies in.  I'll try to take a pic later if I get the chance.

...stock fence and wooden posts is less obtrusive ... I am looking out across my little paddock which is fenced with this and the view is barely interupted at all even though mine has wooden rails also as it's designed to keep the ponies in.

END QUOTE

Aha, but toddlers might be smaller than ponies, and able to wriggle between the rails...

Angela

Hence the stock fence, Loiseau, (it's plain wire with small squares at the bottom getting bigger as it goes up.)  If you read my post again - the bit you quoted - you will see that I say it has "wooden rails also to keep the ponies in".

If it stops raining I'll photograph it later.

Another type of fencing is to use wands of willow and/or hazel. Stick them in the earth then weave sideways. They look attractive and sometimes take root. You can collect them on walks in the woods for free.

Depending where you live of course.