Lawn Tractor Tyres - puncture prevention?

JSKS

We have 2 lawn tractors each of which has one or more tyres with slow punctures. It's easy enough just to hook up the compressor and reinflate them (and it's a day or two before they go down) but I just wondered if there's anything you can get to seal the rubber. I'm thinking of those cans of sealant for car tyres that you connect to the valve but I expect there would be too much for a mower tyre.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem. When I was having some tyres fitted to my car I asked the fitter if he could repair them. He said all he uses is the cans of sealer from the local supermarket, about half a can in a totally deflated rear tyre. Works a treat!

I repaired mine with the puncture repair kit (get-you-home only) for my motorcycle. Push a rubber thread into the hole with a special large needle device and trim the ends off. That's a simplified how to do it!! Been OK for 3 years now.

[quote user="JK"]Where can one get OKO in france. Would it be the sort of thing that is freely available in car parts shops?[/quote]

You can buy it HERE - bit expensive though. I like Sid's idea if you know where the leak is. My tyre was punctured in several places, I think I ran over a particularly thorney branch!

Well blow me!  And there were we thinking it was our tractor or something.  Exactly the same thing keeps happening to our ride-on - is it just the fronts with you lot or all four?

The o/h found this site which also sells inner tubes:

http://www.allterraintyres.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1426_1085_1358_1369&products_id=3006

UK based but a thought?

What is the problem here - the quality of the tyres?  How come this is such a common problem?[8-)]

I had slow punctures on a front and a rear on the mower and on the (very) thin tyres on my trailer . I think it has something to do with all the thorn bushes/trees there are here. We have lots of plum trees with huge spikes and of course the roses etc.

That's a good site coops, thanks.

[quote user="JK"]Thanks, Jay. It's cheaper than the OKO site. Those thorny branches are the real problem so to have a preventive effect would be great.[/quote]

Something cheaper in france............Sound the trumpets [:-))][:)]

From Coops' link:

"Linseal OKO tyre sealant is an advanced puncture seal and repair solution. When installed in your tyres, Linseal OKO puncture protection seals punctures as they happen - instantaneously, effecting a permanent seal with negligible loss of air pressure. Beware of cheap imitations - "

I buy the cans of repair gunk that have a stop valve on them, that way I can do the slow pucture on the car and all the leaking wheelbarrow and trailer tyres in one go, I get them really cheap from Maccess in the UK whenever they are on promo, even a tiny one marked only suitable for a trailer wheel will repair and inflate a stonking great off road 4 * 4 tyre. Having removed a few tyres thus treated you would be hard pushed to see that they had anything in them, the usual nodules of rubber are more evident. All the can contains is a mousse with some fine fibres.

I despaired that my wheelbarrows have tubeless tyres, an economy too far IMHO, what really makes me laugh is that the sidewalls are stamped with whatever EU/NF numbers they thought up that particular day, this was not done in the tyre mould but by hand with a artisanal metal stamp and a blowlamp. - Guess where the leak is on my wheelbarrow tyre [Www]

hi ok

Just a few pointers... you can buy anti- crevasse  ( spelling ???) off the shelf in the super markets etc....when you use it make sure you blow some air in after... it sets in the valve if you don`t  and its impossible to inflate it after  .... make sure you use the tyre until it has time to set    ( the wheel needs to be turning ) and ...... you will never get any one to fix the puncture after, well not in the UK never tried here ??? once they remove the tyre and see its full of gooo...new tyre needed here boss

Dave