French Citizenship

Evianers

This may seem a rather bizarre and unusual question but if anyone has any ideas [legalities] please would they be kind enough to let us know?

Having lived here for 10 years, I am thinking of taking out French Citizenship especially as over the age of 70 we understand a language test is not strictly necessary.  But the difficulty might be that the name on my birth certificate is no longer the name I am [legally] using now. How will this affect the procedure please?

You can find it all here:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F15832

If you changed your name by deed poll for example that can be explained in the official translation by the phrase

'nom changé par un acte officiel'

I had to explain the change of name of my ex-wife on our marriage certificate, and it worked.

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_12753.do

is the document you have to fill in

and this is the explanation of all the documentation you will need

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/getNotice.do?cerfaNotice=51148%2302&cerfaFormulaire=12753*02

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Gowan...I will ask.

Why French citizenship ? Is it really necessary ?[/quote]

No..... not strictly necessary but our commune here, our neighbours, our friends etc. are a super group of people and it would perhaps give a greater sense of belonging. When we go back to the UK we are both like a fish out of water. Becomes worse each time we are there, so why not?

Hi,

Why not apply for a permanent residence card "-carte de sejour permanente"; it's free , and the formalities are much less stringent than for citizenship, which can take up to 2 years or more and is quite expensive.

Also getting the french passport is not a mere formality; I know someone who has a french partner , and a great deal of capital on which they live , speaks fluent french but was turned down as they didn't have a permanent job. 

Do you think you will feel less like a fish out of water when you go back to the UK bearing a french passport?

Citizenship totally trumps Brexit and all questions arising from it, that's the advantage.

Although language skills may be relaxed for seniors I think a working  knowledge of French culture and history remains.

Be interesting to hear from anyone who's been through the process recently though, I've heard it can take a year or more so not much time to make a decision to go down that road.

Edit: formating a product of my tablet which I rarely use for such tasks.

Re a french passport, well Evianers will not lose their British nationality, so would be able keep their UK passport.

It is something friends who have lived France for 40 years are looking into, simply because of brexit.

I could not do it, in spite of being an active member of much in my french village community, with french friends I love dearly, I am simply not french. For all, I feel like, well know, that many french things have rubbed off on me, it doesn't alter the fact that I am just 'not' french. I don't look at the world in the same way as the french people I know.

• 7 months later...
OK, not really for Evian, but the Q about name change was covered there -

For anyone who is intending to apply for naturalisation, living in Haute-Garonne or the 'subsidiary' depts of Ariège, Aveyron, Gers, Lot, Hautes-Pyrénées, Tarn & Tarn-et-Garonne, then the Facebook group (almost 800 members) is very useful: British People Gaining French Citizenship Together In Toulouse. There may well be other groups for other depts.

As an idea of how long it is taking (Prefs vary hugely) Toulouse is about half way through assigning deposition of dossier & RDV (TLS does both together in a 1-1.5 hour face to face) for January. After that, a very variable wait (about a year seems common) for the grant of citizenship to come through. Rejection seems rare, although much more common to judge from another Naturalisation FB group (there are many) in which Algerians, Moroccans & Tunisians are in the majority.