Do you find lawnmowers interesting?

mint

No, it's not a trick question!  Even I find them interesting now that we have to buy one.

We have a small lawn in 3 different patches which amount to about 1000 sq m in total.  Spring now having sprung and all that, we went to Leclerc today to look for a small mower.

Here are the 2 models that we think might suit and I would like your opinions on them, if you'd be so kind.

Both have Briggs & Stratton engines and are sold under the name of Mastercut.

The bigger one is 190cc and the smaller 148cc.

Both are self-propelling.  The bigger costs €265 and the other €179.  I think they represent excellent value especially as they come with 2-year guarantees.

Does anyone own a machine like one of these?

Will the smaller, cheaper model be sufficient for purpose?

Could you please post your replies ASAP?  Many, many thanks. 

1. Always go for the more powerful engine. The smaller ones can bog down and stall more easily if the grass is thick and/or wet. Does the bigger engine also have a greater width of cut - this reduces the time spent mowing.

2. How big is the collection bag (if it has one). They are usually about 75 litres so on a 1000m2 lawn you'll need to empty it fairly often (maybe 8 or 10 times in the fast growing season). If you don't mind the cuttings left on the grass go for side ejection.

3. Sounds like good value to me but I would hesitate about the smaller engine - I think the extra €86 might be money well-spent.

Sweet 17

Of course if you wanted to get serious about your mowing you could do the whole garden in about 5 mins with a PTO mower on one of these:

http://www.deere.co.uk/en_GB/products/agriculture/tractors/8r/index.html

Sorry, Wools and Rose, I didn't mean to ignore your posts.

Yes, I'd spill the beans except JJ has sworn me to secrecy so I can't divulge his secrets.  Mind you, he hasn't internet access at the moment so I suppose I could be tempted........hmmmm.......

OTOH, he might might get his own back on Friday so, on second thoughts, I guess I'd better not commit anything to writing.[:P]

Nah, JK, got a Husqvana in Chateau 17......it's even in Ferari red and that's quite powerful though not in the John Deere league.

This is just a dinky little garden in the new house and, as they say, no need to over-egg the pudding, don't you think, JK?

Another thing I've found important in choice of lawnmowers is ease of starting up. We bought one that has both electrical ignition, and the pull-string affair, which I find very difficult.

But with the electric starter you need to recharge the battery sometimes, and we've just got a new battery for ours.

There's not much more frustrating than getting all prepared to cut the grass and the blooming thing won't start [:@]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Teapot, I grew out of dodgems in my early teens!  However, maybe you'd let me have a ride in yours?

[/quote]

They say it's how Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button started.........They're parents had beautiful lawns .....apparently [Www]

Well then, Teapot, maybe Coops will see your post and come back up especially from her trip south to ride on your mower on her way back to Le Mans?

She's such a racing enthusiast whereas I'd only think of the noise and fumes!

Hi, JK, thanks for the interest.  Went this afternoon and bought the bigger machine (190 cc).  Took us, with our combined skills at reading technical literature, a half hour or so to unpack it and clip/fit all the bits into place.

OH has filled it with oil and petrol but it was geting too late to give it a test drive.

Tomorrow, I'm attending the lunch in honour of Coops near Bergerac and I'm not sure if OH is coming along with the dog to say hello to everybody.

I have a feeling he might choose to stay behind and play with the new toy.

Certainly will let you know how it works.  It looks quite slick but, to mix a metaphor, the proof of the pudding is in the eating?

JK, you still out there and still interested?

Well, OH, gave it its maiden run.  Growls reassuringly and the grass looks better (though not as good as those of the twins who live next door and the one next door to that).

Says the machine is very fast and threatening to run away.  I KNEW he'd likely have to keep up with it!

Anyone knows what you need to do to slow down the machine so OH can keep pace? 

Sweet 17. There will be a speed control somewhere on the handle (it will likely have a symbol of a hare and a tortoise). Slowing the engine will also slow the speed of the mower over the ground, the blades will slow proportionately.

Hard to believe he wants the mower to go slower!