Weeding tool from Fiskars

Pierre ZFP

Anybody got one of these?

http://eng-uk.fiskars.com/Products/Lawn-care/Weeders/139920-Telescopic-Weed-Puller

If so, are they any good?  They are not cheap and are made largely from plastic so I'm wondering if they are up to the job.  I have other Fiskars gardening tools and I'm happy with the quality of these but would appreciate first hand views before I splash out on one.

I thought I was getting on top of my Giant Hogweed problem after an awful lot of work and nearly eradicating them over the last 2 years - or so I thought.

This weekend they were back worse than ever.

The final straw is that after covering up and mowing/strimming/digging I'm exhausted and the beggers are still there, worse, despite my precautions I got some sap on my leg which rapidly blistered and is very painful.

I'm still reluctant to use chemical methods even though all the advise I can find on the web seem to suggest glycophosphate for control hence one last try before I get some 'Agent Orange'

I was impressed by the ad but thought it would be very expensive (is it?) and as our 'lawn' is mostly dandelions and buttercups I need something. Last week I got a similar looking weeder from Lidl for 5.99 euros - it works well but unlike the Fiskars you have to put a bit of effort in to twist it into the ground. I'm doing about a dozen a day and should be finished in about 2015

QVC had a weeder called grandpa's weeder. We bought one. Cast Iron head & strong wooden handle. A good tool & should last forever.

Also cheaper than the one being discussed.

Don't know if you could order it on the internet if in France.

Thanks to all for the advice.

I've looked at one of the Fiskars weeders now and while I think it is a good design in principle and probably OK for dandelions, I don't think it is up to the job of removing hogweed which I usually have to whack with a mattock to make it give up its grip on my 'lawn'.  Also they are quite expensive I think.

I'll have a look at 'Grandpa's Weeder' and similar

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My own "gouge à asperges" was picked up at a local vide-greniers for under a euro, it is similar to the image below but not so fancy as it was made in the gatine by a local artisan.

It has wider knife more suited to weeds than asparagus and a larger diameter wooden handle to make levering easier.

[IMG]http://www.outilgreen.com/images/outilgreen/products_image/0/360/big_949277924.jpg[/IMG]

Pierre ZFP, the National Trust have adopted a procedure which is proving quite successful.

Remove the flower heads before the seeds set, cut off the stalk fairly low down but with due regard for your own safety against the sap.

An application of 'SBK Brushwood Killer' (or other triclopyr based residual weedkiller) into the hollow stem will permeate through to the roots, and kill without damaging the surrounding grass.

Younger growths can be dug out with a ragwort fork.