Water shortage

JohnRoss

This site http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00552.html seems to be saying that we cannot water our veggies at the moment, can this be right. I accept the sensible instruction not to wash cars, pavements, buildings, fill pools and water lawns etc. Me onions are going to bolt if they don't get the odd drop. What about stuff growing in pots, grow bags or what have you?......................JR

Remplissage des piscines privées, de lavage des véhicules en dehors d’une station de lavage, de lavage des trottoirs, d’arrosage des pelouses et des jardins potagers ou encore de nettoyage de terrasses et des façades ne faisant pas l’objet de travaux.

79 is on the list on JR's link, Jay.

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00552.html

I'm amazed that we are not as we have not had a drop for six weeks.  Every day the forecast has some rain about a few days hence and when the time comes, it's gone again.  It's forecast for Friday but I'll believe it when I see it.  Luckily, I still have 3 water butts full so can continue to water the containers for as long as that lasts.  After that it will be farewell plants if they can't survive.  But I agree, it does seem nuts to restrict this for veggies - I guess it's to appease the commercial growers who will be having a very hard time.  I dread to think what food is going to cost.  Hay prices are already sky-rocketing.

Yeah, I can see 79 is on the list but can't see where it says you can't water your veg garden etc.It gives "for example" at the bottom page . If you go onto the site that I quoted HERE and put in Deux-Sèvres there are a few restrictions but mainly agricultural. Obviously I don't know the commune but the ones I looked at seem clear.

Well thanks to Jay for the link. Strange that the other link that I gave says this: Remplissage des piscines privées, de lavage des véhicules en dehors d’une station de lavage, de lavage des trottoirs, d’arrosage des pelouses et des jardins potagers ou encore de nettoyage de terrasses et des façades ne faisant pas l’objet de travaux.

Oh I now realize they were only giving an example of what restrictions might apply if there was a threat to drinking water, silly me!

I wonder if there is anywhere in Deux Sevres where that does apply, obviously not around here or to the North West. You would think that growers and farmers would get steamed up if they were restricted and saw us watering stuff and washing cars! On the other hand they probably use more than the rest of all us put together.........JR

• 3 weeks later...
My question is if you have your own water how are you affected by the restrictions. If you have your own lake and you want to draw water from it to water your veggies is that banned ?

I can understand a ban if you're using mains fed water, but not water from a lake or perhaps rain water that you have collected.

Answers on a post card ;-)

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]My question is if you have your own water how are you affected by the restrictions. If you have your own lake and you want to draw water from it to water your veggies is that banned ? I can understand a ban if you're using mains fed water, but not water from a lake or perhaps rain water that you have collected. Answers on a post card ;-)[/quote]

Check at your Marie the local restrictions imposed by the Prefecture of the Départment in which you reside. If the office is closed look on the noticeboard.

Hi everyone

I always use waste kitchen water to water my pots during the summer months.  Unless it contains bleach or other nasties it is fine.

I have a water tower which so far has held up - heavy rain overnight, so hopefully has gone some way to refilling it.

Am looking into buying a water butt - water is better for plants anyway as no chemicals.

WendyG

You can find all of the arrêtés dealing with water restrictions in Deux Sevres here...

http://www.deux-sevres.gouv.fr/fichiers/gestion%20eau/ODE/ODE.htm

Usually the first water restrictions to come into force are those dealing with water drawn directly from certain lakes, rivers and waterways, restrictions on mains water follow later, if needed.

For other departements, use www. (followed by your departement name).gouv.fr

Well we have the prefectoral notices up here in Finistère 29 - no washing of cars and boats or using pressure washers on homes etc apart from the professionals, no pool filling, no using a hosepipe from 10am - 20.00h on lawns and gardens. Fines can be quite heavy if reported and caught too. My pool will have to wait now as it needs cleaning but although it cannot be seen, I would feel very guilty.

[quote user="Val_2"]Well we have the prefectoral notices up here in Finistère 29 - no washing of cars and boats or using pressure washers on homes etc apart from the professionals, no pool filling, no using a hosepipe from 10am - 20.00h on lawns and gardens. Fines can be quite heavy if reported and caught too. My pool will have to wait now as it needs cleaning but although it cannot be seen, I would feel very guilty.[/quote]

My Dawg! Looks serious!

http://www.crozon.com/images_data/actualites_2_45.pdf

And on top of that the green sand![:-))]

Over the last 2 years we have installed underground 2 x 3000 litre citernes for rainwater collected off house and garage. We use this for watering the garden once the well dries up (normally Aug but appears to be drying up already!). In addition we have 3 waterbutts, filled from well, giving us an additional 1000 litres. Surplus water from the roof goes direct to the duck pond. Not bullet proof but a start.