Problem fig tree

Sunshine

I have a fig tree living in poor but well drained soil as its in an area of rubble and never watered.

Unfortunatley it is next to a building and is totally out of control.

Its a heavy cropper but refuses die. My first few attempts of very heavy pruning for 3 years just meant more shoots. Someone had suggested cutting out about a 6inch peice from a root so it will not regrow and to do this on a quater of the roots on one side. Has any one tried this? Did it work?

Any one know apporximatley how much it would cost to remove? Its a large pesky critter!

They do say do not plant a Fig Tree near a house and I agree.

Not sure but I can check. Have you used this before?

I assume I cut down all the trunks of which there must be 15 very healthy ones, then pour this on the stumps. What about animals in the area? it must be posionous!

My husband quite likes the figs but usually we supply the neighbourhood and it casts shade and spouts new shoots in my polytunnel. Its a shame.

Beware anyone that wants to plant these trees!

Yes I've used this to good effect.  The idea is that you cut the tree down fairly close to the ground then drill as big a hole as you can vertically into the stump.  Pour in the SBK and wait for a few weeks as the nasty stuff does its work. As for amimals I don't know, it smells pretty awful though.

We had a wonderful fig tree growing next to and under the wall of our garage, it always gave masses of fruit BUT like you we were very worried about the root system. I cut the tree right down to ground level and took out as much root as possible. The next season when new shoots shot up I sprayed with weedkiller. It died off and the next year we were free of it. That was 3 years ago, this year it is back again! We just keep on spraying. Plant the root you dig out somewhere else and it is almost guaranteed to grow.

Hi

We had a very large fig tree at the side of the house that was cut down by a company. The chap then told me the best way to kill the roots was to have a thick mix of garlic and milk (well crushed/liquidised) and pour into the grooves he had cut. I have to say, I did this and the roots have died, no chemicals, no adverse reactions to animals (we had a dog at the time) and I could plant out around the tree straight away. No sign whatsoever or regrowth. Had I not done it myself, I would not believe it would work, but it has. Would recommend the same organic/bio treatment for any tree!

• 4 weeks later...

" The chap then told me the best way to kill the roots was to have a thick mix of garlic and milk (well crushed/liquidised) and pour into the grooves he had cut. no chemicals, no adverse reactions to animals."

I recently lost a cat to poisoning, and one thing on the vet's question list of what he had access to was garlic, surprised me as I had heard of it being used as a flea repellent, but bear in mind, the sort of concentration used to kill a tree stump would probably kill a cat/dog, whether they would eat it is another matter, but hungry enough?...