Raspberry canes

woolybanana

[quote user="Pads"]Whats wrong with the old art of conversation ? If we google everything there would be no point to the forum would there ..... ;)[/quote]

There again you might find useful & correct information instead of "I think". Also what is the difference between looking it up on the net or in a book?

Well, I have summer and autumn fruiting bushes and this year I pruned back the old wood and left the new.  The result is that I have had more fruit than I know what to do with and have frozen heaps for making coulis or a Pavlova, if I can figure out how to make one using a useless oven - recipes welcome.

Wooleybanana is not stupid he has a computer and if that was the route he wanted to go he woud of ....... Instead he wanted to get opinons from his friends .....

Do you sit with a group of friends and say dont bother me with your questions go google it , while they have a conversation around you ??? Mmmmm

I put I think because thats I way I am I dont force my opinon down peoples throats I leave it open for others to say oh but I think ........

No difference between net or book but conversation is just as good ...... ;)

[quote user="Pads"] Mmmmm

I put I think because thats I way I am I dont force my opinon down peoples throats I leave it open for others to say oh but I think ........

No difference between net or book but conversation is just as good ...... ;)[/quote]

Would you care to present that last line again in English (or French) so that we can at least understand your babble?

[quote user="Pommier"]With raspberries I've always pruned down to the ground any stems which have already fruited, leaving all those which haven't. It seems to work for me.[/quote]

Dito. Have pruned 30% of the new growth last year (new growth that was to carry this year's crop) and the harvest was not as good as what I had in 2010. So this week, I will cut the 2011 fruit carrying branches to ZERO and leave the new growth (2012 June/July harvest) alone.

Here's what you do irrespective of the type of raspberry:

As soon as the canes have finished fruiting in the summer, cut the old fruited canes down to the ground. Also cut out any weak new ones and thin the new canes if necessary.

If they are a 'remontant' variety they will fruit now, then again next June on the same canes. In that case, in the early spring just nip off any dead bits on the tops of the canes. Cut them down after the second [June] fruiting.

If the are conventional 'English' raspberries they won't fruit until next summer.

Well you did ...... sort of!

You differentiated between summer raspberries and autumn raspberries, whereas I gave advice for summer raspberries, and the 'Remontant' varieties that fruit in the autumn on new canes, then AGAIN on the same canes the following summer.

Yes, for the varieties that only fruit once in the autumn, your advice is correct.